Hash Browns are one of my favorite breakfasts! One thing I really love is making them in a waffle iron because it cooks both sides at one time. No flipping required!
In the past, I used to make hashbrowns in my nonstick frying pan but always had to hang around the stove to flip them when one side finished browning. Back in 2014, I discovered a better way.
You’ll love hash browns made in a waffle iron because they’re…
- Completely oil-free
- Extra crispy
- Fast and easy
- Terrific for breakfast
- Hands-off with no flipping required
How to make waffle hash browns
Frozen hash browns
Make sure to purchase frozen hash browns that have no additives. They need to be simply potatoes. Walmart, Aldi’s, and many grocery stores carry these. Just be sure to read the labels.
Believe it or not, the hash browns will be added to the hot waffle iron still frozen. No need to defrost them. You can also make your own fresh hash browns if desired.
Spices to use
Diced onions make a terrific addition. I sometimes like to and other veggies like mushrooms, bell peppers, and even spinach.
After sprinkling the seasonings, lower the lid and allow to cook for approximately 6-8 minutes. Waffle iron temperatures differ, so check regularly until you find the right cooking time for your appliance.
Once done, remove from the heat, unplug the waffle iron, and serve warm.
What to serve with hash browns
We love to eat our hash browns with toast and fresh fruit. Grits are also a great option for serving with these.
Plant-based vegan sausage makes a great addition when serving this for breakfast. It is one of the many products that I like to order from MamaSezz meal delivery service. It comes ready to heat and eat, and it can also be frozen.
*Originally published December 2014.
Your Hash Brown Questions Answered
- Q: How do I keep it from sticking? A couple of important things to remember to keep it from sticking. First, always season your waffle iron or press periodically to maintain the surface area. Second, allow plenty of cooking time for potatoes to get crispy.
- Q: Can I make my own hash browns for this? Sure, though I’ve never done that myself. There is a process fresh hash browns have to go through of soaking and squeezing out excess water, and I just like to keep it simple with frozen ones.
- Q: Are hash browns vegan? Yes, they are vegan and also gluten-free. Just remember to read labels and purchase the ones that are only potatoes without any additional seasonings.
- Q: Do hash browns have eggs in them? Not naturally. Hash browns are just potatoes.
Other great vegan breakfast recipes
For those of you new to the whole food plant-based lifestyle, we’ve created a FREE 7-Day Plant-Based Menu Planner to help you get started!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
If you try this recipe, please let us know how you like it by rating it and leaving a comment. We love to hear from you!
- frozen hash browns (amount desired)
- diced onions
- nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- any other vegetables desired, mushrooms, spinach, etc
- Make sure to purchase frozen hash browns that have no additives. They need to be simply potatoes. Walmart, Aldi's, and many grocery stores carry these. Just be sure to read the labels.
- When you're ready to make hash browns, heat up your waffle iron and make sure it's been seasoned recently.
- Add spices and seasonings desired. Some of my favorites are sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, and smoked paprika.
- Diced onions make a terrific addition. I sometimes like to and other veggies like mushrooms, bell peppers, and even spinach.
- After sprinkling the seasonings, lower the lid and allow to cook for approximately 6-8 minutes. Waffle iron temperatures differ, so check regularly until you find the right cooking time for your appliance.
- Once done, remove from the heat, unplug the waffle iron, and serve warm.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gProtein: 2g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.