Recently, we were having Sunday brunch at my sister’s house after church, and I needed to come up with a healthy version of a vegan breakfast casserole to take, because we love plant-based recipes. This is the amazing hash brown vegan breakfast casserole ended up happening in my kitchen!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
This oil and dairy-free version of the traditional American hashbrown casserole recipe came out delicious and hearty-healthy.
When I first switched over to a healthy plant-based lifestyle back in 2013, one thing that I really missed was CHEESE. Cheese for pizza, tacos, baked potatoes, lasagna, and so much more. That’s why I came up with this amazing Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce!
Ingredients used to make this amazing cheese sauce
- cashews (and or white beans)
- nutritional yeast flakes
- lemon juice
To keep it completely oil-free the bottom of the glass baking dish was lined with parchment paper to keep it from sticking to the bottom. You could also use a silicone baking mat. Either way will work just fine.
When making this in a crock pot, I don’t line with parchment paper. It does stick to the sides a little, but not badly in my cooker.
Everyone loved it, along with the Banana Oat Pancakes that I took as well. I came home with empty dishes which is always a good feeling and had many requests for a recipe.
Since this casserole was a spontaneous creation, I have gone back to recreate it and share with you all. Hopefully, it will become one of your favorite plant-based recipes.
“OMG! So good!! Added some additional veggies that needed to be used, celery and carrot. This is a keeper for sure. Thank you!”
“I’m happy to say that I’m one who enjoyed eating it. I’m a hard one to convince because of my southern country tastes. I had 2 servings and brought home all the leftovers I could grab for my supper/dinner.
This ones a winner for sure. Oh, and the pancakes with walnuts, topped with fruit!!!!!!”
Other Great Plant-Based Recipes for Breakfasts:
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 30 oz package frozen shredded hash browns, oil-free version (or 4 cups freshly shredded)
- 3/4 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup fresh spinach leaves, shredded
- 1 cup No Cheese Sauce, recipe below
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp dry steak seasoning
- 1 Tbsp ground smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup broth from veggies
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (or 1/2 cup white beans)
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch paprika
- 1/2 pinch cayenne pepper, (optional)
Hash Brown Casserole
- Dice the onion and red bell pepper into small chunks.
- In large bowl, mix together onions, red bell peppers, frozen hash browns, cheese sauce, and spices.
- Toss in shredded spinach leaves and lightly mix again.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper. This allows the casserole to be cooked without oil. You could use a silicone baking dish if desired. When making this in a crock pot, I don't line with parchment paper. It does stick to the sides a little, but not too badly in my cooker.
- Pour hash brown mixture into baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If making in a crock pot, cook on low for approximately 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce
- In medium pot, bring about 3 cups of water to a boil. Place potatoes, carrots, and onion in pot and allow to cook until veggies are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Cooking time will vary based on how small the veggies are diced.
- When veggies are tender, drain and place them in blender. NOTE: reserve 1 cup of the broth, and add to blender. Add all the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Now, it's ready to use in this Hash Brown recipe. Cheese Sauce is also fabulous in nacho cheese dip, veggie pizza, mac-n-cheese, topping for steamed broccoli, or anything else you need a creamy, cheesy sauce in. It makes approximately 1 quart and can be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inch
Mrs. Anderson’s Baking 43636 9-Inch Square Cake Pan, Non-Stick European-Grade Silicone
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205 Total Fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 34.2g Fiber: 5.4g Protein: 8.1g