This delicious air fryer tofu is crispy to perfection without a drop of oil in only about 15-minutes. Believe me, the whole family is going to love these little chunks!
Add this crispy tofu to stir-fries or serve as an appetizer with dipping sauce.
If you’re still on the fence about whether or not to get an air fryer, it’s time to just DO IT!
Vegan air fryer recipes
There are so many healthy air fryer recipes to make, you’re missing out by not already having one. I personally use mine at least once a week for everything from french fries to veggie tempura, to black bean burgers. This link has a list of some of my favorites, Best Vegan Air Fryer Recipes.
How to make air fryer tofu
Air fryer tofu is very easy to make and can be ready in only a few minutes.
Begin by draining and pressing the water from the firm tofu. I like to freeze mine ahead of time because it makes it even firmer.
Two options for draining and pressing tofu
° Traditional way – Slit the package and drain excess water over a sink. Next, place the tofu block in a tofu press if you have one. Allow 15-30 minutes for pressing.
°Homemade press way – Place tofu on an absorbent surface such as layered paper towels or a dishtowel. Use another dish towel or paper towels to place on top of the block and top with a heavy plate or cast iron pan. Continue to drain under pressure for approximately 30 minutes.
If you want to make it even easier, freeze your tofu ahead of time. When ready to use in a stir fry or other dish, defrost completely by either placing in the refrigerator for 24+ hours, or submerging in a large bowl of very warm water. If submerging, it will take an hour or so and will require changing the water a couple of times to make sure it stays very warm.
Once defrosted, open the container and drain out excess water. You will notice that the molecular structure of the tofu has actually changed. It is much firmer and more sponge-like. It can now be handled with ease and the water can be squeezed out of it using your hands, just like wringing out a sponge. Check out my cooking demo of Breakfast Tofu Scramble to see how easy it is.
Marinating the tofu is completely optional, but it does add more flavor to the finished product, so I highly recommend it.
Dice the tofu into 1″ cubes and mist with soy sauce or coconut aminos and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Before cooking, sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, and cornstarch or arrowroot powder. Coat well by stirring the cubes around a bit.
Place in the air fryer, set temperature to 400°F for 15 minutes. Halfway through the cooking process, stop and shake the air fryer basket to redistribute.
Tofu dipping sauces
Serve with rice and dipping sauce. Some of my favorite dipping sauces for air fryer tofu are:
- Ginger Sesame Sauce
- Asian Stir-Fry Sauce
- Simple Stir Fry Sauce
- Creamy Peanut Sauce
- 5-Minute Tahini Sauce
- 5 Tofu Marinades for Grilling, Baking, & Stir-Fries
Whichever sauce you use for dipping, these crunchy tofu cubes are going to be amazing! And, if you don’t want to make your own sauce this Thia sweet spring roll sauce is a good option.
This recipe makes a great addition to stir fries and pasta dishes.
If serving as a main dish, some great side dishes are steam rice, corn on the cob, salad, or steamed edamame (soybeans).
- 14 oz block of firm to extra-firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce, amino acids, or coconut aminos
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 Tbsp corn starch or arrowroot powder
- Drain and press the water from the firm tofu. I like to freeze mine ahead of time because it makes it even more firm. For detailed instructions on how I do that, check out the article above.
- Dice the tofu into 1" cubes
- Mist with soy sauce or coconut aminos. More options listed in the article.
- Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Before cooking, sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, and cornstarch or arrowroot powder. Coat well by stirring the cubes around a bit.
- Place in the air fryer, set temperature to 400°F for 15 minutes. Halfway through the cooking process, stop and shake the air fryer basket to redistribute.
- Serve with rice and dipping sauce. I have some great options that I like to use for dipping listed above.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85Total Fat: 4gCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g