Spaghetti squash is unique because, it’s not just a vegetable, but also a pasta substitute. Cooking Spaghetti Squash Whole in the oven is easy and it’s delicious!
We loving spaghetti squash because it’s…
- Extremely simple
- Low in fat
- Great with other recipes
Spaghetti squash noodles
The amazing thing about spaghetti squash is that once cooked, it is basically a delicious pasta just waiting for some spices or a marinara sauce to be added.
The noodles inside scrape right out with a fork. So simple and tasty!
Cooking spaghetti squash whole
Use a sharp knife to slit approximate 6-8 places in the whole spaghetti squash.
Bake in the oven at 350 for approximately 45-60 minutes.
Once cooked, slice the squash in half and remove seeds. There aren’t usually that many.
Use a fork to remove flesh inside. It will come out in spaghetti noodles.
Tips for making and serving spaghetti squash noodles
- I have found that using a fork to scrape the noodles out is the best instrument. It helps the noodles to not be mashed too much.
- These noodles are great for layering in vegetable casseroles.
- Some people enjoy them with a vegan pesto.
- Another option is to serve with a balsamic glaze.
Nutrition in spaghetti squash
Most varieties of winter squash contain almost twice the calories per serving of spaghetti squash, which has only 42 calories per cup, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database. It’s also very low in fat, with less than 0.5 grams of fat per cup.
Spaghetti squash contains about 92 percent water by weight, which may account for its lack of calories. These qualities make spaghetti squash a good choice for weight-loss or weight-management plans.
It will fill you up without adding a lot of calories or fat to your daily total.”–LiveStrong
Other great recipes
- Use a sharp knife to slit approximate 6-8 places in the whole spaghetti squash.
- Bake in the oven at 350 for approximately 45-60 minutes.
- Once cooked, slice the squash in half and remove seeds. There aren't usually that many.
- Use a fork to remove flesh inside. It will come out in spaghetti noodles.
- Drizzle freshly squeezed lemon juice over noodles. Add sea salt, peppercorn melange, garlic powder, parsley flakes, and smoked paprika. Serve.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 59Total Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.