This homemade simple vegan ricotta cheese is made with only 8 simple ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes for a deliciously healthy plant-based cheese alternative.
We love this dairy-free ricotta because it’s
- Simple to make
- Requires only a few ingredients
- Can be used in so many recipes or as a spread on crackers
- Is healthy
- Tastes amazing
Simple ingredients in vegan tofu ricotta cheese
Making dairy-free ricotta cheese is very simple and SO much better for your health than regular cheese. It’s made with…
- almond milk
- lemon juice
- firm tofu
- cashews or white beans (optional)
- spinach (optional)
RECIPE CARD BELOW
The first batch of this recipe I made didn’t have either cashews or white beans, and it was good. You will notice they are not pictured above.
I decided to add just 2 tablespoons of cashews and believe they created a lovely creamy texture and flavor that I liked even better. However, they can be left out completely if desired.
A blender or food processor is all that is needed for preparation. What I reeeally like is that absolutely no cooking is required.
How to make vegan ricotta
Drain water from tofu block and press to remove water.
Next, place all ricotta ingredients (EXCEPT SPINACH) into a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. This will be a very thick mixture. If your blender has a tamper, using it will help. If not, stop and scrape down the sides of the blender as needed until smooth.
If making Spinach Ricotta, thaw spinach and drain as much as possible. I defrost mine on paper towels in the microwave. Then, I wrap it up in the paper towels and squeeze excess water juices over the sink or jar to keep for veggie broth seasoning.
Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in the drained spinach. Continue tasting until you get the salt adjusted to your taste preference.
Serve with crackers, cut vegetables, or use in recipes like lasagna.
*Originally published March 29, 2015.
RECIPE CARD BELOW
Tips for making tofu ricotta
- White beans can be substituted for those avoiding nuts.
- Be sure to drain and press the tofu well so the ricotta will not be watery.
- Tweaking the ingredients slightly for your preference is highly recommended. Some folks may like more or less salt, lemon juice, or garlic.
How to store vegan ricotta cheese
Vegan ricotta cheese can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can tell when it’s time to toss it when it becomes more watery in texture. As always, give foods in the refrigerator a quick sniff before using to make sure they are still fresh.
Vegan ricotta cheese is delicious used in other recipes like Spinach Black Bean Lasagna. For lasagna ricotta, I usually make a little different version by simply adding spinach.
The lasagna ricotta is made exactly the same way, except for the addition of spinach. I use a 10 oz. package of frozen, chopped spinach that has been defrosted and drained.
Once the main ricotta ingredients have been blended until smooth, simply stir in the spinach for a power-punch of flavor and texture–not to mention protein!
Then spoon it into the many layers with pasta, marinara sauce, spinach, and No-Cheese Sauce.
Sure, there are processed vegan cheeses available at most grocery stores, but have you read the labels on them?
Processed vegan cheeses are not healthy
FILTERED WATER, MODIFIED POTATO STARCH, CANOLA OIL, VEGETABLE GLYCERINE, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, PEA PROTEIN, SEA SALT, NATURAL VEGAN FLAVOR, LACTIC ACID (NON-DAIRY), SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, ANNATTO EXTRACT (COLOR). POWDERED CELLULOSE ADDED TO PREVENT CAKING.–GoVeggie Mozzarella Shreds Label
Not exactly all-natural, and one of the main ingredients is artery-clogging oil.
What is tofu?
Tofu or soybean curd is a food of Asian origin. Production of tofu involves soaking soybeans in water and creating soy milk, then curdling the milk using a substance such as calcium sulfate or lemon juice.
The curds are separated from the whey and usually packaged in block form. Most tofu brands offer a range of soft and firm varieties, which differ mainly in the amount of water retained.”–LiveStrong
Is soy healthy?
Some people are not too sure about tofu, because it contains phytoestrogens. Turns out, phytoestrogens are very health promoting and are not at all like our body’s natural estrogen that can cause harm and lead to disease.
This makes so much sense, because the countries that consume the most soy, such as Japan and China, have the lowest rates of cancer and chronic disease. This short video will explain the benefits of soy.
Other amazing vegan cheese recipes
- Best Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Cashew Vegan Mozzarella
- Nacho Cheese
- Sweet Potato Cheese Sauce
- Vegan Ricotta
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
Which vegan cheese sauce tastes the best?
There are so many different types of vegan cheese sauce. Each one has its own merits and can be used in different recipes. For instance, we love this cheddar flavor cheese sauce, as well as Sweet Potato Sauce mixed with salsa and on Nachos.
FREEZE & GRATE. This vegan mozzarella can even be frozen and grated to use as shreds for pizza, salads, and other recipes.
- 2 Tbsp raw cashews or white beans, (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp almond milk, or other plant milk
- 1-1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 12 oz firm tofu, drained
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbsp Italian dry seasoning
- 2 Tbsp basil (and or one fresh basil leaf)
- 10 oz frozen, chopped spinach, thawed, (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Drain water from tofu block and press to remove water.
- Next, place all ricotta ingredients (EXCEPT SPINACH) into a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. This will be a very thick mixture. If your blender has a tamper, using it will help. If not, stop and scrape down sides of the blender as needed until smooth.
- If making Spinach Ricotta, thaw spinach and drain as much as possible. I defrost mine on paper towels in the microwave. Then, I wrap it up in the paper towels and squeeze excess water juices over the sink or jar to keep for veggie broth seasoning.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in the drained spinach. Continue tasting until you get the salt adjusted to your taste preference.
- Serve with crackers, cut vegetables, or use in recipes like lasagna.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 5gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.