This is a quick and flavorful ginger soba noodle vegan recipe that can be made in about 20 minutes!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
What are soba noodles?
Soba means buckwheat in Japanese. Although some versions of soba noodles contain wheat, you can find soba noodles made with just buckwheat flour.
These noodles, used in both hot and cold dishes, look like spaghetti but have a nuttier flavor. Nutritionally these noodles are similar to spaghetti, but they offer some additional benefits.
A 2-ounce serving of dry soba noodles contains 6 to 8 grams of protein. Although the amount of protein isn’t that much different than that found in spaghetti noodles, soba noodles contain a higher-quality protein.
Buckwheat is rich in lysine and has an amino acid score of 100, which is a very high amino acid score for a plant food, according to the Whole Grain Council.
The protein in buckwheat, however, has a low digestibility and should not be relied on as your only source of protein.–LiveStrong
Soba noodles are very easy to cook and are ready in minutes.
While the noodles are cooking, simply dice up some fresh garlic, ginger, and green onions.
Medical Benefits of Ginger
Ginger is traditionally used to ease nausea and vomiting. According to the Mayo Clinic, ginger can reduce nausea due to chemotherapy. Research by E. Ernst and M.H. Pittler published in the March 2009 issue of the “British Journal of Anaesthesia” showed ginger to be effective in reducing nausea caused from morning sickness, seasickness and nausea from chemotherapy.
In an article published in the May 2007 issue of “Food and Chemical Toxicology,” an international journal published for the British Industrial Biological Research Association, author Y. Shukla and M. Singh stated that ginger contains constituents with strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, some of which have the ability to help prevent cancer.–LiveStrong
Recipe from Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
Other Great Asian Noodle Recipes
- Veggie Udon Noodles with Sweet Ginger Sesame Sauce
- Baby Bok Choy & Veggie Stir Fry
- Udon Noodles With Cashews and Veggies
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 1 8 oz package soba noodles
- 3 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminso
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2-1 jalapeno pepper, chopped, optional
- 2 green onions, finely chopped, including tops
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, optional
- Cook soba noodles according to package directions. Cooking time is usually only about 5 minutes. Do not overcook, or they become mushy.
- When tender, drain and rinse in cool water.
- Dice veggies.
- Mix seasoned rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, pepper, green onions, and cilantro in medium bowl.
- Pour over cooked noodles, toss to mix, and serve.
Muso From Japan Organic Japanese Noodles, 100% Buckwheat Soba, 7 Ounce
Marukan Vinegar Organic Rice Vinegar -- 12 fl oz - 2 pc
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 73 Total Fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 1g Protein: 4g