Chickpea Avocado Salad is by far my favorite vegan sandwich of all time. Something about the flavors of lime, avocado, and cilantro just thrill my taste buds.
The fact that it takes less than 10 minutes and only requires a bowl and fork to prepare doesn’t hurt either.
Table of contents
This chickpea salad spread is…
- Easy to make
- Amazingly delicious
- Perfect for picnics
- Full of protein
- Versatile with serving options
- The best sandwich ever!
How to make chickpea avocado salad
Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out with a spoon. A large tablespoon works well for scooping.
Add the avocado to the bowl and mash in with the chickpeas using the potato masher.
Chop up the cilantro and green onion. Add them plus the lime juice to the bowl with chickpeas and avocado mixture. Season with salt and pepper to suit your taste preference.
Spread the garbanzo bean salad on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings.
I like to add fresh spinach leaves. Or you can stuff the spread into endive or another lettuce leaf and serve for a beautiful and delicious chickpea salad appetizer!
Watch the cooking demonstration at the bottom of the recipe to see how easy preparing this recipe can be!
*Originally published April 2015.
Homemade vegan mayonnaise is also a great addition. It requires only 5 ingredients and a blender to make, and it keeps in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Tips for serving chickpea salad
- There are so many options for serving this spread–vegan sandwiches, wraps, or even lettuce wraps.
- We sometimes stuff endive or other large lettuce leaves with this spread and serve as an appetizer. It’s a great option for those avoiding bread and gluten products.
- This salad also makes a great dip. Serve with cut-up veggies, crackers, or pita chips.
- Perfect for picnics! Simply pack in a cooler with other great picnic foods like hummus and veggies.
How to store chickpea salad
If you want to make this ahead of time and have it still keep its pretty green color, there’s a trick for that. I have had a lot of luck keeping it from turning too dark by placing the avocado pit in an airtight bowl with the spread and storing it in the refrigerator. It will keep longer that way.
I made this the other day, but put it inside a tortilla with some spinach. Hubby and I loved it! Thank you!–Bonnie L.
My husband and I just tried this sandwich spread. It is delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this. I think the mashed peas idea is a wonderful one as well, especially for those of us trying to lose a little weight. I’m going to try that next.–MumslyAnn
Other great picnic recipes
- Smoked Tempeh Sandwich (TLT) / Tempeh, Lettuce, Tomato
- Ultimate Vegan Grilled Cheese
- Veggies in a Blanket
- No-Egg Salad
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
This recipe has many variations from some terrific chefs. The first time I ever saw it was from cookbook author, Collen Patrick-Goudreau.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1.5 cups cooked)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 3 tablepspoons lime juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher, smash the chickpeas
- Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out with a spoon.
- Add avocado to the bowl and mash in with the chickpeas.
- Chop up the cilantro, green onion. Add them plus the lime juice to the bowl with chickpeas and avocado mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread chickpea avocado salad on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings. My homemade Vegan Mayonnaise goes perfectly with this.
- I like to add fresh spinach leaves. Or you can stuff the spread into endive or other lettuce leaf and serve for a beautiful and delicious appetizer!
- Note: This salad also makes a great dip. Serve with cut-up veggies, crackers, or pita chips. Best eaten the day it is made because it will turn brown due to the avocado.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 11gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.