When I first created this healthier vegan carrot cake, my husband couldn’t stop talking about it. He said that absolutely anyone–plant-based or not–that tried it would agree that it’s fabulous. It has become one of my family’s favorite plant based recipes.
Incredibly moist and packed with grated carrots, this secretly healthier version of carrot cake guarantees you will never miss the extra calories.
Made with banana, raisins, walnuts, whole grain flour, and apple sauce there’s just something charmingly delectable about this culinary masterpiece.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Vegan Carrot Cake Glaze
The glaze was the trickiest part to figure out but, in the end, I came up with an easy and delicious version. It calls for a combination of tofu, allspice, cinnamon, and vanilla. No cooking is required, only a blender.
For those avoiding soy, you might try using cashews as a substitute for tofu.
The tofu should be silken to make it smooth for the glaze. Drain tofu completely and place in blender. Add all other glaze ingredients to the blender or food processor and blend until creamy smooth.
While the cake is cooking, allow this to chill in the refrigerator.
Protein in tofu
Unlike most plant-based foods, soy is considered a complete protein, possessing all the essential amino acids. Tofu is thus a good protein source, due both to the amount and nature of the protein it contains.
The protein content is higher in firm types of tofu than in softer types. According to the Illinois Center for Soy Foods (ICSF), a 3-oz. piece of firm tofu has about 13 g of protein, compared with about 4 g in soft tofu. The Vegetarian Resource Group (VRG) puts the content of 4 to 5 oz. of tofu at 11 g.–LiveStrong
No one will ever guess that this vegan dessert is completely free of oil, dairy, and eggs making it a heart-healthy option that won’t clog arteries.
Not that long ago, I took it to my mother’s house for Sunday dessert with family, and they all loved it! Hopefully, it will become one of your family’s favorite plant based recipes too.
Glazed Vegan Carrot Cake is not gluten-free, but this link to the Minimalist Baker will help adjust it for those that want to give it a try.
Other Great Vegan Dessert Recipes
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
Vegan Carrot Cake
- 1 cup whole wheat or spelt flour, link to help make gluten-free below
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup sucanat or other dry sweetener
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice concentrate, from frozen
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 block silken tofu
- 1-1/2 Tbsp sucanat or other dry sweetener
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
Vegan Carrot Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients: flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, sucanat.
- In medium bowl, mash a ripe banana well. Add apple sauce, concentrate, maple syrup, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Whisk together well and fold in grated carrots, raisins, and walnuts (if using).
- Pour well-blended wet mixture into large bowl with dry ingredients and whisk together thoroughly.
- Spoon cake batter into an 8" silicone baking dish. My recommendation is below. Place on a baking sheet and put in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted into the middle and come out clean. While this is baking is a good time to make the glaze.
- Once completely cooked. Allow to cool and remove from pan.
- The tofu should be silken to make it smooth for the glaze. Drain tofu completely and place in blender.
- Add all other glaze ingredients to the blender or food processor and blend until creamy smooth. While the cake is cooking, allow this to chill in the refrigerator.
- When cake has cooled, spoon glaze over the top and serve immediately.
Silicone Cake Pan, SILIVO 8.5"x 8.5"x2" Nonstick Bakeware Baking Mould Brownie Pan for bread Chocolate Pie Pizza fudge and brownies
365 Everyday Value Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, 2 Pound
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219 Total Fat: 3g Sodium: 256mg Carbohydrates: 44.6g Fiber: 5.6g Sugar: 15g Protein: 5.2g