Veggie Kabobs are so easy to make, and they are a huge crowd-pleaser at summer barbecues or any time of year!
Grilled vegetable kabobs
Hello summer, and all year long for that matter! Contrary to popular belief, there are lots of vegan grilling options including veggie kabobs, corn on the cob, tofu steaks, asparagus, leeks, and much more. Vegetable kabobs happen to be a favorite of my family.
We love them because they’re…
- Great for cookouts
- Packed with nutrients
- A good reason not to heat up the kitchen
Making veggie kabobs on the grill is super simple and always begins with a great marinade and your favorite vegetables.
Choose a healthy shish kabob marinade you like, or make my simple Asian Sauce.
Marinade sauce ingredients include
- soy sauce
- lemon or lime juice
- minced garlic
RECIPE CARD BELOW
I use this sauce, not only for a marinade, but also for stir-fries, dipping sauce, and rice flavoring.
The nice thing about using it as a marinade for plant-based grilling is that once your veggies are marinated, you don’t have to discard it like you do after it has touched raw meats.
I collect mine in a bowl and pour it over the rice with veggie kabobs for extra flavor.
Sometimes, I even add a little thickener like cornstarch or arrowroot powder, whisk together in a bowl, and heat in the microwave to make a gravy.
There are many different marinades to choose from, and this is just one. For more ideas, check out my Stir Fry Sauces page, because they work really well as marinades.
Freeze tofu for more firm texture
A helpful hint when grilling tofu, for either kabobs or tofu steaks, is to freeze the tofu first for at least 2 weeks, and longer is better. This makes the tofu much more firm which enables it to stay on the skewer better. Freezing is not required for this recipe, but it’s helpful.
I always bring tofu home from the grocery store and immediately place it in the freezer. That way, I always have some handy and ready to use in recipes like veggie kabobs or tofu steaks.
Defrosting frozen tofu
There are a few different options for defrosting.
- Transfer from freezer to refrigerator and allow to defrost. This will take up to 48 hours.
- Place frozen tofu on the countertop and let it thaw for a couple of hours.
- Remove tofu from plastic tub and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Defrost in the microwave on defrost setting.
- Submerge in a large bowl of hot water. If you are in a big hurry, you’ll want to dump the water after about 15 minutes and refill with more hot water. This is the quickest method for defrosting without a microwave.
Watch the 5-minute video of me using it in a Breakfast Scramble to see for yourself how freezing ahead of time changes the texture and firmness of tofu.
More vegan grilling ideas
Minimalist Baker has a terrific Jamaican Jerk Grilled Eggplant recipe that you might want to check out. Just leave out the oil, and you’ll have a heart-healthy dinner.
Check out our Grilling for Vegans page for more outdoor cooking ideas.
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 12-15 oz firm tofu
- 12-18 large button or portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium squash
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 12 cherry tomatoes (optional)
- ¼ cup Tamari (or soy sauce)
- ¼ cup water
- 1-1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic (I like the kind in jar for sauces)
- ½ Tbsp sugar (I use an unrefined sugar called sucanat)
- Arrowroot powder (or corn starch) to thicken
- Drain and press water from tofu. A helpful hint when grilling tofu, for either kabobs or tofu steaks, is to freeze the tofu first for at least 2 weeks. This makes the tofu much more firm which enables it to stay on the skewer much better. Freezing is not required for this recipe, but it's helpful.
- Prepare Asians Sauce as a marinade by whisking all ingredients below in large bowl.
- Adjust all ingredients for your taste.
- Cut tofu, zucchini, squash, bell pepper, and onions into bite size chunks.
- Place dice tofu and vegetables into the large bowl with marinade. Allow to marinate for at least 30-minutes. Longer is better. A great option is to marinate in the refrigerator all day or overnight to enhance flavor.
- Use wooden or metal skewers and skew all the veggies and tofu as pictured in article.
- Cook on hot grill for 20-30 minutes, turning often to cook evenly.
- Serve with salad, baked potato, or corn on the cob.
UNICOOK Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Barbecue Skewer Shish Kabob Set, 6pcs 13”L Skewer and Foldable Grill Rack Set, Durable and Reusable, Bonus of 50pcs 12.5”L Bamboo Skewers for Party and Cookout
Weber Style 6435 Professional-Grade Grill Pan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116 Total Fat: 3.1g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Carbohydrates: 17.3g Fiber: 4.8g Protein: 8.7g