We are always looking for quick and easy vegan recipes and this lentil pasta recipe is a winner! It takes only about 10-minutes to prepare and makes five servings for less than $15. And, it taste terrific!
If you are a fan of the new plant-based TV reality show from the producers of ‘The Biggest Loser’ on Z Living Network, then you will recognize this recipe from the premeire episode of ‘The Big Fat Truth’ where producer, JD Roth, issues a challenge to contestant, Ryan Benson.
While I’m here, and you’re going to get fast food. Before you get back, I can have my entire meal done and on the table ready for everyone (Ryan and his family) to eat.
It’s five ingredients, made in 10-minutes, for under $15. And, it’s going to be whole food, plant-based.”
This is a clip from the show demonstrating just how easy this recipe is to prepare.
I added a few extra spices to season the lentil pasta dish just a little more to suit my taste. In the recipe below, I’ve included my ‘Terri Tweaks’ so you can give them a try too. I was actually able to make this recipe for less than $10.
The Big Fat Truth airs Sundays on Z Living at 8 p.m. EST. Find where to watch by checking out this link.
“If the Z Living Network isn’t carried on your cable provider, reach out to them and tell them that you want to watch Z Living. Believe us, they listen! Here’s how to get in touch.”
This is an easy vegan recipe lentil pasta recipe that can be made in about 10 minutes and feeds five people for less than $15.
- 16 oz pkg brown rice pasta or other whole grain pasta
- 1/4 cup veggie broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 15 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes or ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 8-12 basil leaves, shredded
- 1 pkg Trader Joe's steamed lentils or 2-1/2 cups cooked lentils (1 cup dry)
- 1 tsp liquid aminos, or soy sauce (Terri tweek)
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder (Terri tweak)
- 3/4 tsp onion powder (Terri tweak)
- 3/4 tsp oregano, dry (Terri tweak)
- 1/2 tsp celery salt (Terri tweak)
- salt & peper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. I used Trader Joe's whole wheat spiral pasta. JD Roth used spaghetti noodles in the show.
- Heat non-stick pan and add veggie broth and chopped onion. Sauté and keep adding broth a few tablespoons at a time until the onion is soft and almost cooked all the way.
- Add fire roasted tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes) and cooked lentils. I really prefer the fire roasted because they add so much flavor. Mix until combined well. I cooked my own lentils (1 cup dry makes 2+ cups cooked) in veggie broth.
- Now, toss in the shredded basil and stir until wilted.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. I also added garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, oregano, and aminos.
- Serve lentil bolognese over pasta and enjoy.