We are always looking for quick and easy vegan recipes and this lentil pasta recipe is a winner! It takes only about 10-minutes to prepare and makes five servings for less than $15. And, it tastes terrific!
You’ll love this pasta because it’s…
- Super quick to make
- Super healthy
The Big Fat Truth TV Show
If you are a fan of the plant-based TV reality show from the producers of ‘The Biggest Loser’ on Z Living Network, then you will recognize this recipe from the premiere episode of ‘The Big Fat Truth’ where producer, JD Roth, issues a challenge to a contestant, Ryan Benson.
While I’m here, and you’re going to get fast food. Before you get back, I can have my entire meal done and on the table ready for everyone (Ryan and his family) to eat.
It’s five ingredients, made in 10-minutes, for under $15. And, it’s going to be whole food, plant-based.”
This is a clip from the show demonstrating just how easy this recipe is to prepare.
I added a few extra spices to season the lentil pasta dish just a little more to suit my taste. In the recipe below, I’ve included my ‘Terri Tweaks’ so you can give them a try too. I was actually able to make this recipe for less than $10.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon and/or other affiliate links to my favorite products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thank you!
The Big Fat Truth aired six episodes on Z Living in 2017 and asked me to be a part by sharing this article and recipe from the show. The show is based on the producer, JD Roth’s book, The Big Fat Truth.
- 16 oz pkg brown rice pasta, or other whole grain pasta
- 1/4 cup veggie broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 15 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes, or ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 8-12 basil leaves, shredded
- 1 pkg Trader Joe's steamed lentils, or 2-1/2 cups cooked lentils (1 cup dry)
- 1 tsp liquid aminos, or soy sauce, (Terri tweek)
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder, (Terri tweak)
- 3/4 tsp onion powder, (Terri tweak)
- 3/4 tsp oregano, dry, (Terri tweak)
- 1/2 tsp celery salt, (Terri tweak)
- salt & peper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. I used Trader Joe's whole-wheat spiral pasta. JD Roth used spaghetti noodles in the show.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add veggie broth and chopped onion. Sauté and keep adding broth a few tablespoons at a time until the onion is soft and almost cooked all the way.
- Add fire-roasted tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes) and cooked lentils. I really prefer the fire-roasted because they add so much flavor. Mix until combined well. I cooked my own lentils (1 cup dry makes 2+ cups cooked) in veggie broth.
- Now, toss in the shredded basil and stir until wilted.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. I also added garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, oregano, and amino.
- Serve lentil bolognese over pasta and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396 Total Fat: 4g Carbohydrates: 78g Fiber: 18g Sugar: 10g Protein: 21g
Did you like this recipe? Please consider rating it with the star rating and leaving a comment below. I love hearing from you! Find me on Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Instagram, and remember SHARING IS CARING. Thanks for helping me spread the word about plant-based nutrition and how delicious the food can be!