We are always looking for quick and easy vegan recipes and this Lentil Pasta Recipe is a winner! It takes only about 10-minutes to prepare and makes five servings for less than $15. And, it tastes terrific!
You’ll love this pasta because it’s…
- Super quick to make
- Super healthy
The Big Fat Truth TV Show
If you are a fan of the plant-based TV reality show from the producers of ‘The Biggest Loser’ on Z Living Network, then you will recognize this recipe from the premiere episode of ‘The Big Fat Truth’ where producer, JD Roth, issues a challenge to a contestant, Ryan Benson.
While I’m here, and you’re going to get fast food. Before you get back, I can have my entire meal done and on the table ready for everyone (Ryan and his family) to eat.
It’s five ingredients, made in 10-minutes, for under $15. And, it’s going to be whole food, plant-based.”
This is a clip from the show demonstrating just how easy this recipe is to prepare.
I added a few extra spices to season the lentil pasta dish just a little more to suit my taste. In the recipe below, I’ve included my ‘Terri Tweaks’ so you can give them a try too. I was actually able to make this recipe for less than $10.
The Big Fat Truth aired six episodes on Z Living in 2017 and asked me to be a part by sharing this article and recipe from the show. The show is based on the producer, JD Roth’s book, The Big Fat Truth.
Lentil Pasta Recipe in 15-Minutes
- 16 oz pkg brown rice pasta or other whole grain pasta
- 1/4 cup veggie broth
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 15 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes or ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 8-12 basil leaves shredded
- 1 pkg Trader Joe's steamed lentils or 2-1/2 cups cooked lentils (1 cup dry)
- 1 teaspoon liquid aminos or soy sauce, (Terri tweek)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder (Terri tweak)
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder (Terri tweak)
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano dry, (Terri tweak)
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (Terri tweak)
- salt & peper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. I used Trader Joe's whole-wheat spiral pasta. JD Roth used spaghetti noodles in the show.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add veggie broth and chopped onion. Sauté and keep adding broth a few tablespoons at a time until the onion is soft and almost cooked all the way.
- Add fire-roasted tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes) and cooked lentils. I really prefer the fire-roasted because they add so much flavor. Mix until combined well. I cooked my own lentils (1 cup dry makes 2+ cups cooked) in veggie broth.
- Now, toss in the shredded basil and stir until wilted.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. I also added garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, oregano, and amino.
- Serve lentil bolognese over pasta and enjoy.
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.