Weekend mornings we have certain breakfasts that we love, and Smoked Tempeh Breakfast Sandwich is a favorite vegan breakfast sandwich for us.
We love this breakfast sandwich because it’s…
- Super filling
- Loaded with protein
Tempeh Bacon for Breakfast
No greasy, artery-clogging bacon and eggs here. Only healthy deliciousness. Move over fast-food drive-through, we’ve got plant-strong healthy breakfast muffins here!
When our adult daughter makes it home for a visit, we busy ourselves in the kitchen making all of her favorite vegan meals, and tempeh bacon is always on the list for breakfast. Later in the day, I’ve seen her grab some off of the plate in the refrigerator for a snack.
Smoked tempeh is great on these English Breakfast Muffins and on Smoked Tempeh Sandwich (T.L.T.) – Tempeh, Lettuce, & Tomato too!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Easy tempeh marinade
This smoked tempeh marinade requires only 3 simple ingredients. Whisk all ingredients in a bowl, add tempeh, and allow to marinate a few hours or even overnight.
- soy sauce
- liquid smoke
- maple syrup
RECIPE CARD BELOW
Tempeh is high in protein
Add tempeh to your diet to boost your protein intake. Each 1-cup serving of tempeh contains 31 grams of protein, which is 55 percent of the recommended daily intake for men and 67 percent for women, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Tempeh contains high-quality complete protein and provides all the amino acids you must obtain from your diet. Its protein content helps you maintain muscle tissue, and also make enzymes your cells need to function.–LiveStrong
My Eggless Low-Fat Vegan Mayonnaise recipe goes perfectly with these sandwiches!
With smoked tempeh, spicy mustard, and leafy greens these muffins are a powerhouse of flavor and protein!
Other breakfast options
- 1 8 oz package tempeh, found in many grocery stores
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- spinach or kale leaves
- low-fat eggless mayo, recipe link below
- mustard, (optional)
- 4 English muffins, whole grain, suggestion below
- In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, liquid smoke, and maple syrup and mix well.
- Slice tempeh into strips. Place slices into mixture and allow to marinate. The longer, the stronger the flavor will be. I like to leave it in the refrigerator overnight if possible, but at least 30 minutes is necessary.
- Add tempeh strips to a frying pan with a little bit of the marinade liquid and cook over medium-high heat until crispy on one side. Turn and brown on the other side. Add more of the marinade and cook until caramelized. About 5 minutes each side is a reasonable estimate. If baking in the oven, cook at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Toast your English muffins (or don't). Add a little Eggless Low-Fat Mayo, mustard, and kale (or spinach).
- Add tempeh bacon and serve.
12" Stone Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri, with 100% APEO & PFOA-Free Stone-Derived Non-Stick Coating from Germany
Living Nutritionals All-Natural Pure Liquid Smoke 5oz (147ml)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70 Total Fat: 2.5g Sodium: 325mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 2.5g Sugar: 1g Protein: 6g
Did you like this recipe? Please consider rating it with the star rating and leaving a comment below. I love hearing from you! Find me on Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, and Instagram, and remember SHARING IS CARING. Thanks for helping me spread the word about plant-based nutrition and how delicious the food can be!