Thick, juicy, tender, and hearty, these are the ribeyes of veggie burgers! Grilled or baked in the oven, you can’t go wrong with a vegan Portobello Mushroom Burger.
We love Portobello burgers because they’re…
- Perfect for grilling or the oven
- Vegan ribeyes
- Hearty & filling
- Best vegan burgers
- Packed with flavor
Mushroom lovers enjoy the Portobello in stir-fries, casseroles, soups, and salads. Another hearty preparation style is to give them solo status on a whole grain bun as a meatless burger with the traditional condiments like lettuce, pickles, and tomatoes.
How to make Portobello mushroom burgers
Start with large Portobellos that are the right size for serving on a bun.
Wash the mushrooms and pat them dry.
If the stems in the middle are large, I like to shorten them using a knife to gently trim them down.
This post may contain Amazon and/or other affiliate links. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you.
Making the marinade
Place all the mushroom marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. They include soy sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, water, minced garlic, and spices.
The full ingredient list with measurements can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Drizzle the marinade over mushrooms. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
The longer they are marinated, the more flavor these burgers will have.
Baking portobello mushrooms
Normally, I go ahead and put the mushroom caps in my baking pan to marinate in the refrigerator. It just makes things easier to simply pull out and place in the oven.
When ready to cook preheat oven to 350°F.
Bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes.
Mushrooms release their water while baking so, when they are done, drain the water or use a paper towel to blot away the excess liquid.
Grilling portobello mushrooms
If grilling, use low heat. Allow to cook for approximately 20-30 minutes turning them over about halfway through the cooking process.
I like to close the lid to help them to cook uniformly. Reduce or increase grill temperature as needed.
Serve on whole-grain buns with grilled onions, lettuce, and favorite toppings. A great addition is my Homemade Vegan Mayonnaise.
RECIPE CARD BELOW
Who says herbivores don’t need a grill?! We love grilling all-year-round because it’s easy, delicious, and clean up is a breeze! Check out this other Plant-Based Grilling Ideas. These grilled portobellos are included in the list.
Other plant-based burger recipes
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce, (read label and avoid anchovies)
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp season salt
- Wash large mushrooms, pat dry, and place in large bowl or baking dish.
- If the stems in the middle are large, I like to shorten them using a knife to gently trim them down.
- Place all other ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. Drizzle over the mushrooms.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Normally, I go ahead and put the mushroom caps in my baking pan to marinate in the refrigerator. It just makes things easier to simply pull out and place in the oven.
- When ready to cook preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the marinated mushrooms in a baking pan lined with parchment paper to prevent sticking and to make for easy cleanup. Or you can use non-stick silicone baking mats.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Mushrooms release their water while baking so, when they are done, drain the water or use a paper towel to blot away the excess liquid.
- If grilling, use low heat. Allow to cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve on whole-grain buns with grilled onions, lettuce, and favorite toppings.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 29Total Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.