Sometimes we just want a light meal and these vegan wraps and pita pockets are perfect for those kinds of days.
Simple vegan lunch
Each year, we spend a few days in Tennessee at a rustic, 80-year old, one-room cabin on the lake. No TV, internet, or AC There’s only a tiny captain’s kitchen for making meals. I absolutely love it!
Normally, we have these veggie pitas for lunch one of the days during our stay, because we like to keep it simple.
No cooking, only hiking, reading, and resting. Healthy and easy to go together quite well, I think.
Ingredients for wraps and pita pockets
- Whole wheat tortilla wraps or whole wheat pita pockets. Recipe link for oil-free tortillas below.
- Veggies of your choice (shredded broccoli slaw, shredded carrots, turnip leaves, purple onion, cilantro)
- Low-Fat Eggless Mayo or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Fresh lime juice
I like the convenience of the pre-shredded broccoli slaw and carrots as pictured below.
Instructions for putting wraps and pita pockets together
- Simply smooth low-fat mayo or hummus on a wrap or in a pita pocket.
- Then pile it full of your favorite veggies
- Drizzle fresh lime juice over them, and eat! Delish!
This healthy mayo takes only about 3-minutes and a blender to make! Click the picture below for recipe and instructions.
This tasty, eggless vegan mayo has only 11 calories and (.4) grams of fat per tablespoon. And it’s loaded with protein!
This oil-free Roasted Red Pepper Hummus recipe requires only a handful of ingredients and a few minutes to make. If you have 10 minutes and a blender or food processor, you’ve got a delicious healthy snack.
So many people ask about easy go-to snacks, and this hummus is one of my favorites. In the summer, we go boating at the lake a lot. That means picnic-friendly foods, and this hummus is a great option. It’s usually accompanied by Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwiches.
Plant-Smart Living has an easy recipe for making your own oil-free tortillas.
Other healthy plant-based snack ideas