Making your own Homemade Ketchup is SO easy to do with only a few ingredients in about 10-minutes. With this refined sugar-free vegan ketchup, you get to control exactly what goes into it.
Table of contents
Sugar in regular ketchup
A tablespoon of store-bought ketchup averages around 4 grams of sugar per tablespoon which is more than a typical chocolate chip cookie. Yikes!
Thankfully, there is a way to make delicious refined sugar-free ketchup in your own kitchen with only a handful of readily-available ingredients.
You’ll love this ketchup because it’s…
- Free of refined sugar
- Perfectly sweet & tangy
How to make healthy ketchup
Making this healthy ketchup is super simple and only takes about 10-minutes flat.
First, place all the ingredients in a small saucepan on medium-high heat, and whisk together well.
Ingredients in vegan ketchup
- tomato paste
- maple syrup or date paste
- vegan Worcester sauce
- apple cider vinegar
- spices: onion powder, garlic powder, ground yellow mustard, allspice
Allow the ingredients to come to a low boil. Once boiling has begun, you can reduce the temperature if needed. You’ll likely need to do this to keep it from boiling out onto your stove or skin.
Continue to whisk for a few minutes as the spices begin to marry-up.
Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
Pour the ketchup into an airtight jar or container and refrigerate for at least a few hours before using it.
This is the awesome glass ketchup bottle pictured. I love that the lid locks down airtight to prevent spills in the refrigerator. And, it looks pretty cool for serving too.
Tips for making homemade ketchup
- Date paste can be substituted for the maple syrup at a 1:1 ratio.
- Don’t skip the cooking part. When making this ketchup, make sure to cook it for at least 5-minutes to allow the flavor from the raw spices to develop a rich bold flavor.
- Once the ingredients begin to boil in the saucepan, turn it down a bit to keep it from bubbling out onto the stove or your hands.
- Allow the freshly cooked ketchup to cool, and chill it in the refrigerator for a few hours before using it.
Check out the cooking video of me showing how to make this ketchup in your own kitchen.
This healthy vegan ketchup keeps in the refrigerator for about 7-10 days.
Your Questions Answered:
- Q: Is this ketchup vegan? Yes. All of the ingredients used in this recipe are free of animal products which makes it vegan. Regular Worcestershire sauce is not vegan because it contains anchovies, but I recommend vegan Worcestershire for this recipe.
- Q: Is this recipe completely sugar-free? This recipe calls for maple syrup instead of table sugar. Compared to regular ketchup that has 4 grams of sugar per Tbsp, this ketchup has only 1 gram of sugar per serving (Tbsp).
- Q: Can I use dates instead of maple syrup?Absolutely! Simply replace the maple syrup with 1-2 dates that have been pureed in a blender. One tablespoon of date paste has approximately 6 grams of sugar.
Dishes that could use some vegan ketchup
This sugar-free vegan ketchup recipe is perfect to use in any dish that calls for regular ketchup. It’s also terrific on foods that are traditionally served with ketchup like these.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan on medium-high heat.
- If using date paste in place of the maple syrup, the ratio is 1:1, so 1.5 Tbsp.
- Whisk together well. Take a peek at the cooking demo below of me showing how to make this recipe.
- Allow the ingredients to come to a boil.
- Once boiling has begun, you can reduce the temperature if needed to keep it from boiling out onto your stove or skin.
- Continue to whisk for a few minutes as the spices begin to marry-up.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Pour into an airtight jar or container and refrigerate for at least a few hours before using. This is the awesome glass ketchup bottle pictured in this recipe.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above. Also check out the cooking demo of me making this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 20Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.