I love a warm, hearty soup, and this vegetarian barley soup hits the spot for me! The longer you cook it, the creamier and richer tasting it becomes.
Though I made this on the stove top, it would also be a great option to cook this in a slow cooker. What an amazing aroma to come home to after a long day at work!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Fast facts on barley from Medical News Today
Here are some key healthy barley benefits
- Consuming barley might have benefits for the heart, blood pressure, and bones
- Barley may be useful in maintaining a healthy weight
- Barley provides a high percentage of an individual’s daily requirement of manganese and selenium
- Thanks to barley’s versatility, it is easy to incorporate into meals
With added vegetables like corn, lima beans, onions, carrots, and celery, this chowder becomes a powerhouse of phytonutritents and antioxidants that will help keep our bodies healthy.
This soup is great with my Country Cornbread.
When a group of people talk about cornbread for any length of time, the discussion will always get around to the question of whether cornbread should be sweet or savory. This is my favorite Country Vegan Cornbread recipe that can be made either way–sweet or savory!
Recipe is adapted from Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
Nutrition facts per 1 cup serving
- Calories: 133
- Fat: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Calories from Fat: 3.2%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Protein: 6.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fiber: 7.1 g
- Sodium: 169 mg
- Calcium: 34 mg
- Iron: 2 mg
- Vitamin C: 2.1 mg
- Beta Carotene: 1244 mcg
- Vitamin E: 0.3 mg
Other Great Soup & Stew Recipes
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup lima beans, frozen, fresh, dry
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup dry pearl barley
- 1 Tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp Bragg's liquid aminos
- salt an peper to taste
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or rice pasta
- Dice the veggies--onion, celery, carrots, garlic.
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT PASTA in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until barley is tender and broth is creamy, about 1-1/4 hours.
- To make this in a crock pot, simply add all ingredients except pasta to a large cooker and allow to cook on low for 4-5 hours. Then, follow the last 3 steps of recipe.
- Add the whole grain pasta of your choice and allow to cook an additional 15 minutes.
- The longer you cook this thick and hearty soup, the creamier and richer tasting it becomes.
- Serve hot. We like ours with cornbread.
Bob's Red Mill Hull-Less Whole Barley, 26-ounce
Farberware Classic Series 11 Quart Stockpot with Glass Lid
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133 Total Fat: .5g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 169mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 7.1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 6.2g