I make Savory Vegan White Bean Chili with cannellini or northern white beans, but you really could use any bean type you prefer. It can be made on the stovetop or in a slow cooker. Either way, it’s a delicious hearty meal!
This chili is amazing because it’s…
- Chock full of healthy ingredients
- Loaded with protein and fiber
- Super healthy
How to make white bean chili
Heat 2 Tbsp vegetable broth in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
Add celery and sweet potato and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Add beans, bulgur, veggie broth, and all spices. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes.
If you would prefer to make this recipe in a slow cooker, simply add all the ingredients to a crock pot. Turn heat to low, and cook for 3-4 hours.
Remove from heat and serve with fresh cilantro.
Recipe Card Below
This vegan white bean chili recipe satisfies cravings for chili but cuts out all of the unhealthy ingredients found in many other chili recipes. Loaded with chunks of sweet potatoes, tender white beans, celery, onions, and spices, this dish will keep you full for hours.
This post may contain Amazon and/or other affiliate links. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you.
Bulgur wheat for chili ingredient
Bulgur wheat gives it a ground beef texture, but this is an optional ingredient. Bulgur is a whole wheat grain that is cooked exactly like rice in about 15 minutes. (Follow package directions).
I like to make a big batch of it and store in the freezer to use in recipes like tacos, stews, chili beans, etc. because bulgur adds a ground beef texture and soaks up flavors of dish you’re preparing.
Country cornbread goes great with soup
This recipe is terrific served with my Country Cornbread.
When a group of people talk about cornbread for any length of time, the discussion will always get around to the question of whether cornbread should be sweet or savory.
This is my favorite Country Vegan Cornbread recipe that can be made either way–sweet or savory!
The recipe is adapted from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, Cancer Survivors Guide.
Other great chili recipes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced
- 4 cups white beans, fresh cooked or canned, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup bulgur wheat, uncooked, optional
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 1 tsp Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke, optional
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce, optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro, optional
- Heat 2 Tbsp vegetable broth in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add celery and sweet potato and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add beans, bulgur, veggie broth, and all spices. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes.
- If you would prefer to make this recipe in a slow cooker, simply add all the ingredients to a crock pot. Turn heat to low, and cook for 3-4 hours.
- Remove from heat and serve with fresh cilantro.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: .9gCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 19gSugar: 6.7gProtein: 4.8g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.