When a group of people talks about cornbread for any length of time, the discussion will always get around to the question of whether cornbread should be sweet or savory. To me, the most important thing is the cookware it’s made in. This is my favorite skillet vegan cornbread recipe that can be made either way–sweet or savory!
We love this skillet cornbread because it’s…
- Crunchy on the outside
- Moist on the inside
- Savory or sweet
- Super flavorful
- Great with soup and chili
Cooking skillet vegan cornbread
Growing up in the South, we ate a LOT of cornbread. Cornbread and beans, cornbread and sauerkraut, cornbread and soup, cornbread and milk. Of course, nowadays it’s almond or soy milk.
I remember the crunch of the outside and the moist tenderness of the middle, and it’s a cast-iron skillet that made that magic happen. If you’re looking for some delicious healthy recipes for soup, stew, or chili to go with your vegan cornbread, check out the suggestions on down this page.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon and/or other affiliate links to my favorite products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thank you!
Sweet or savory vegan cornbread?
Though I like both versions, I have to admit that savory is my favorite.
The great thing is, you can make this vegan cornbread recipe both ways. If you like it savory, make it as described below. For a sweet cornbread, add 2 Tbsp of agave or another sweetener.
There are times that we want vegan cornbread muffins, and this recipe does well as muffins too.
Skillet vegan cornbread ingredients
- yellow cornmeal
- whole-grain flour
- baking soda
- almond milk
- creamed corn
- onion (optional)
How to make vegan cornbread
Dice the onion if you are using it.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
Pour into a seasoned iron 12″ iron skillet or baking pan, and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool. Slice and serve.
RECIPE CARD BELOW
Moist vegan cornbread that is oil-free
My favorite thing about this cornbread is that it stays moist on the inside. The secret is that creamed corn is used as an ingredient.
What is creamed corn? Believe it or not, it is dairy-free. It is simply made by pulping corn kernels and collecting the milky residue from the corn.
Here in the States, creamed corn is readily available in cans at most grocery stores. However, it is harder (or impossible) to find in some countries.
Living Vegan has an easy recipe for Easy Creamed Corn for those in areas that it isn’t available in your local grocery store.
Tips and suggestions
- One thing that I’ve noticed is that, after being refrigerated, the leftovers are no longer crunchy the way I like it. To solve that, simply pop them into the oven or toaster oven on a flat pan at about 350 degrees for 10 minutes or so. This cornbread crisps right back up!
- We love cornbread around here with soup, chili, beans, sauerkraut, and just about anything!
- This recipe is oil, egg, and dairy-free! It pairs well with other recipes like potato soup, vegetable soup, or chili beans made in a crockpot.
My husband prefers a sweet cornbread, so I used a few pinches of pure stevia and left out the adobe sauce in thus recipe. He loves it with my kidney-and-black-bean chili! I bake the corn bread in a twelve-muffin tin so we can better control portion size. —Serenity
Recipes that go well with skillet cornbread
If you make this recipe, please consider RATING it and leaving a COMMENT below. I love hearing from you. And remember, SHARING IS CARING!
- 2 cups of coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup of flour, spelt, whole wheat, or your favorite
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- 2 cups almond milk, you want a pancake batter consistency
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 ounces of can of creamed corn, this is 1/2 the can
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small chipotle in adobe sauce, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Pour into a seasoned iron 12" iron skillet or baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 7gProtein: 10g