This raw ultimate broccoli salad is so creamy and light, even broccoli haters will like it. The broccoli lovers will never realize it has a fraction of the fat and calories of the traditional broccoli salad recipe they are used to.
Healthy looking food isn’t always good for us
Back in the old days, before my lifestyle change, I remember going through the grocery store deli and ordering a pound of the traditional broccoli slaw and feeling like it was such a healthy choice.
For sure, it was a better choice than the deep fried chicken. But, unbeknownst to me, the broccoli salad still had artery-clogging saturated fat that I had no idea about.
Turns out, traditional broccoli salad is made with mayonnaise. Most store bought mayonnaise has a whopping 100 calories and 10 grams of fat per tablespoon!
I would have to jog nearly 2 miles just to burn off one tablespoon of mayo!
Thankfully, there is a better option. This broccoli slaw recipe can be healthy, as it was originally intended to be, by switching out that mayonnaise with my Easy Low-Fat Vegan Mayonnaise Recipe.
It’s so simple to make with only 5 ingredients and a blender. This mayo makes this broccoli salad vegan side dish an incredible addition to any dinner.
If you need a soy-free mayo, try this Soy & Oil Free Vegan Mayo from Cooking with Plants.
Is tofu healthy?
Some people are not too sure about tofu, because it contains phytoestrogens. Turns out, phytoestrogens are very health promoting and are not at all like our body’s natural estrogen that can cause harm and lead to disease.
This makes so much sense, because the countries that consume the most soy, such as Japan and China, have the lowest rates of cancer and chronic disease. The short video below will explain the benefits of soy.
Nutrition in Broccoli
Broccoli is low in calories, with only about 27 calories in a 1/2-cup serving of the cooked vegetable. It also contains respectable amounts of vitamins and minerals. A 1/2-cup serving of cooked broccoli provides 50.6 milligrams of vitamin C, 110 micrograms of vitamin K and about 1,207 international units of vitamin A.
Vitamin C is needed for the growth and repair of your body tissues, while vitamin K plays an important role in blood clotting. Vitamin A is essential for good eyesight. Broccoli is rich in beneficial minerals, including potassium, with 229 milligrams in a 1/2-cup serving, and calcium, with 31 milligrams per 1/2 cup.
Your cells, tissue and organs need potassium for optimal functioning. Calcium helps develop and maintain strong bones and teeth.–LiveStrong
With nearly 4 grams of protein per serving, this broccoli dish is a close second to kale in nutritional value!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Other Great Plant-Based Broccoli Recipes
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 2 medium broccoli stalks
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, optional
- 3 Tbsp low-fat mayo, recipe below
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sweetener, turbinado or succanat work great
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 block tofu, firm or silken both work well
- 1 Tbso Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp sweetener, sugar, sucanat, turbinado, etc.
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cut broccoli florets and stems into bite-size pieces. Dice green onions, and grate carrots.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add raisins, cranberries, and sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl, mix together low-fat mayo (recipe below), vinegar, sugar, and black pepper.
- Whisk well.
- Pour over broccoli and other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Let stand for about 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to blend.
- Remove water and drain tofu. I do this by setting it on paper towels, then squeezing out extra water.
- Place the tofu into a blender. Add the rest of the ingredients and puree until smooth and creamy. Makes approximately 1 quart and keeps in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
Mori-Nu Tofu, Silken Style, Extra Firm, 12.3-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 3)
Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Sucanat, 2 lb
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110 Total Fat: 2.3g Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 3.3g Protein: 5.3g