I was looking around for a new, healthy pasta dish and finally found it. This easy vegan chili mac recipe comes together in minutes and is now a family favorite.
This vegan chili mac is awesome because it’s…
- So easy to make dinner in minutes
- Reminds me of childhood dinners
When I was a kid, Hamburger Helper was all the craze, and my family ate it very frequently. Sometimes I miss those pasta dinners.
Meatless Hamburger Helper
That is what prompted me to play around with this recipe from the Physicians Committee.
Their meatless chili mac version was good, but I felt it needed a little more punch of flavor. To accomplish that, I have added a lot more spices and seasoning.
It’s loaded with onions, celery, and bell pepper, kidney beans, chili powder, smoked paprika and more.
If you would like to make your own ketchup for this recipe, check out my 10-Minute Vegan Ketchup recipe.
Pasta options for vegan chili mac
I always use spelt, quinoa, or brown rice pasta that are egg-free. They are readily available in most grocery stores. Make sure not to overcook them, as they will become mushy. For this recipe, I used rice pasta.
Years ago, some of the rice pastas were difficult to cook without becoming too soft and turning to mush.
That isn’t the case anymore. Evidently, companies have gotten smarter and made their product much more user-friendly.
A follower decided to give this chili mac a try in her Instantpot, and this is what she said.
I made this in the InstantPot. I sauteed the vegetables, then added the beans, noodles, 2 cups of water, tomatoes, and ketchup, then spices. I did not mix it together, because tomatoes can easily burn to the bottom. I cooked it for half the lowest time listed on the package (rounding down), and it turned out great!–Melissa
Recipe Card Below
Nutritional benefits of whole-grain pasta
Whole grain or whole wheat pasta, such as spaghetti, is made from flour that contains the entire grain kernel, the germ, endosperm and bran.
Whole grain pasta is rich in many nutrients essential for human health and is high in dietary fiber, which promotes regularity and may help lower cholesterol and aid in cancer prevention.
The Harvard School of Public Health reports that whole grains, such as whole grain pasta, contain compounds called phytoestrogens or plant estrogens.
These substances may help to reduce your risk of developing certain types of cancers — particularly in conjunction with the minerals found in whole grains — such as copper, selenium, magnesium and manganese. — LiveStrong
This meatless chili mac recipe makes a hearty meal the whole family will enjoy. Serve with a tossed green salad or corn on the cob for a simple and fast dinner.
This post may contain Amazon and/or other affiliate links. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you.
Recipe adapted from Dr. Neal Barnard’s book, Breaking the Food Seduction.
Other plant-based pasta dishes:
- 1-1/2 cups elbow macaroni, dry, use whole grain pasta
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced, or any color
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, with juice
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans, or fresh cooked
- 1 15 oz can white kidney beans (or pintos), or fresh cooked
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp basil, ground
- salt to taste, if desired
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- I always use spelt, quinoa, or brown rice pasta that are egg-free. They are readily available in most grocery stores. Make sure not to overcook them, as they will become mushy.
- Drain well and set to the side.
- Dice onions, celery, and bell pepper.
- In a saucepan, add vegetables and 3 Tbsp of water or veggie broth. Saute until they are slightly tender, approximately 5 minutes. Add more water or broth as necessary.
- Stir in all other ingredients (except macaroni). Mix well and allow to cook 5-7 minutes.
- Add cooked macaroni, stir, and cook 1 minute longer.
- Serve immediately with tossed green salad or corn on the cob.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 3gCarbohydrates: 95gFiber: 18gSugar: 17gProtein: 25g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.