This Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff has a savory mushroom flavor that will remind you of the rich and scrumptious stroganoff recipes you grew up with. Now you can satisfy those pasta cravings without the guilt!
Some people imagine that pasta–along with bread, potatoes, and rice–is bad for you, but the opposite is actually true.
Are Carbohydrates Bad?
Carbohydrate-rich foods are helpful for permanent weight control, because they contain less than half the calories of fat, which means that replacing fatty foods with complex carbohydrates automatically cuts calories.
“The thinnest people in the world consume 80% of their calories from complex carbohydrates.”—Dr. Neal Barnard, President of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
It’s important to remember to eat healthful carbohydrates, such as whole grains, pasta, brown rice, and sweet potatoes.
Processed carbohydrates, such as white bread and white rice, are not as healthful a choice because they have lost much of their fiber and other nutrients and tend to have a higher glycemic index.”—PCRM
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
This recipe, made with whole grain pasta, onions, garlic, mushrooms, rosemary, and other spices, is a delicious way to get that all-important fiber into your diet. It can also be made gluten-free by using rice pasta or other gluten-free varieties.
How to make vegan mushroom stroganoff sauce
I have adapted this recipe from Chef Del’s Mushroom Stroganoff.
Simple ingredients for mushroom stroganoff sauce include:
- vegan sour cream
- dry white wine
Add all sauce ingredients to sauteed onions, mushrooms, and cooked pasta.
This wonderful vegan pasta recipe is terrific served with a side salad and crusty bread.
Portobello Mushroom Nutrition
One cup of diced portobello, which equals about one mushroom, has 19 calories, 2 grams of protein and 3 grams of total carbohydrates. ich sources of copper and selenium.
Your body needs copper to form connective tissue, metabolize iron, and to produce energy and antioxidants. Selenium has two primary jobs to fill: It helps produce thyroid hormones and antioxidants.
It also supports your health by regulating your immune system and inflammation, according to a review published in the April 2012 issue of “Antioxidants & Redox Signaling.”
One cup of diced portobello mushrooms contains 16 micrograms of selenium and 0.25 milligrams of copper. These values represent 28 percent of the recommended dietary allowance for both minerals.–LiveStrong
Is soy healthy?
Some people are not too sure about tofu, because it contains phytoestrogens. Turns out, phytoestrogens are very health promoting and are not at all like our body’s natural estrogen that can cause harm and lead to disease.
This makes so much sense, because the countries that consume the most soy, such as Japan and China, have the lowest rates of cancer and chronic disease. The short video below will explain the benefits of soy.
Other Great Pasta Recipes:
- Lentil Pasta for 5 in 10-Minutes and Less Than $15
- Chili Mac with Elbows
- Veggie Udon Noodles with Sweet Ginger Sesame Sauce
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 1 lb whole grain pasta, fettuccine or penne work well
- 1/4 cup veggie broth or water
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb mushrooms of choice, Portobello, button, or others
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups Tofu Sour Cream, recipe below
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley or flakes
Tofu Sour Cream
- 1 package tofu, firm
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (red wine or apple cider work well)
- 1 clove garlic, (approximately 1 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- Begin by putting pasta on to cook according to package directions. While this is cooking start the mushroom stroganoff.
- In large skillet, saute diced onion in 3 Tbsp of veggie broth or water approximately 5 minutes or until tender. Add more veggie broth, 1 Tbsp at a time, if needed to keep from sticking.
- Add minced garlic, and cook another minute, adding more veggie broth if needed.
- Stir in mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, salt/pepper, and dry white wine. Cook on medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes.
- While this is cooking, make tofu sour cream in blender.
- Drain cooked pasta and set to the side.
- Add tofu sour cream to stroganoff mixture, along with cooked pasta. Stir well.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
Tofu Sour Cream
- Open tofu container and drain water. Blend all ingredients in blender until creamy, scraping down sides of blender as needed. Serve on baked potatoes, tacos, or enchiladas. Recipe makes approximately one pint of sour cream. 2 cups will be used in this stroganoff recipe. Sour cream keeps in the refrigerator about 10 days.
Barilla Whole Grain Pasta, Penne, 16 Ounce (Pack of 8)
Mori-Nu Tofu, Silken Style, Extra Firm, 12.3-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 3)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167 Total Fat: 2.8g Sodium: 162mg Carbohydrates: 26.9g Fiber: 3g Protein: 7.6g