This Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff has a savory mushroom flavor that will remind you of the rich and scrumptious stroganoff recipes you grew up with. Now you can satisfy those pasta cravings without the guilt!
I absolutely LOVE pasta and have since my childhood. Though tomato marinara is delicious on pasta, my all-time favorite is a creamy white sauce, and this vegan stroganoff is at the top of the list.
This is our favorite vegan mushroom stroganoff because it’s…
- Super flavorful
- Insanely satisfying
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Healthy flavorful mushroom stroganoff
This recipe, made with whole-grain pasta, onions, garlic, mushrooms, rosemary, and other spices, is a delicious way to get that all-important fiber into your diet. It can also be made gluten-free by using rice pasta or other gluten-free varieties.
There is no better comfort food that you can feel good about eating and enjoy every delicious bite!
How to make vegan mushroom stroganoff
I have adapted this recipe from Chef Del’s Mushroom Stroganoff.
A full list of ingredients, measurements, instructions, and a print button can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Cooking the pasta
Begin by cooking the pasta according to package directions. I like to use whole wheat penne pasta, but any whole grain pasta you prefer should work well with the recipe. Gluten-free varieties work great as well.
Most pasta simply needs to be boiled in a pot of hot water for approximately 12-15 minutes. Follow cooking instructions on your package.
Once cooked, drain the pasta and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and help keep it from sticking together.
Making the sour cream
While the pasta is cooking, go ahead and make the homemade Tofu Sour Cream. It’s very easy to whip-up with a handful of ingredients that include:
- silken tofu (NOT previously frozen)
- garlic clove
- lemon juice
- red wine vinegar
Drain all water from the tofu and blend the sour cream ingredients in a blender or food processor. Once it’s blended nice and smooth, set it to the side.
This vegan sour cream can be used with many other dishes like baked potatoes, tacos, or enchiladas. It can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7-10 days.
Cooking the veggies and sauce
Next, slice the onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
I am often asked what knives I use and recommend for cooking, and my favorite brand is Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery. Yes, that’s the same company that makes the Swiss Army Knife. These knives come with a lifetime guarantee and are very reasonably priced. I absolutely love mine.
In a large skillet, saute diced onion in 3 Tbsp of veggie broth or water approximately 5 minutes or until tender. Add more veggie broth, 1 Tbsp at a time, if needed to keep from sticking.
Add minced garlic, and cook another minute, adding more veggie broth if needed.
Stir in mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, salt/pepper, and dry white wine. Cook on medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes.
I am often asked about which nonstick pan I use, and my favorite is the 12″ Stone Earth Ozeri Fry Pan. There are actually two of them in my kitchen, and I use them daily.
Add tofu sour cream to stroganoff mixture, along with cooked pasta. Stir well. Remove from heat. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
This wonderful vegan pasta recipe is terrific served with a side salad and crusty bread.
But, aren’t carbohydrates bad?
Some people imagine that pasta–along with bread, potatoes, and rice–is bad for you, but the opposite is actually true.
Carbohydrate-rich foods are helpful for permanent weight control, because they contain less than half the calories of fat, which means that replacing fatty foods with complex carbohydrates automatically cuts calories.
“The thinnest people in the world consume 80% of their calories from complex carbohydrates.”—Dr. Neal Barnard, President of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
It’s important to remember to eat healthful carbohydrates, such as whole grains, pasta, brown rice, and sweet potatoes.
Processed carbohydrates, such as white bread and white rice, are not as healthful a choice because they have lost much of their fiber and other nutrients and tend to have a higher glycemic index.”—PCRM
Other great pasta recipes:
- Easy Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- Lentil Pasta for 5 in 10-Minutes and Less Than $15
- Chili Mac with Elbows
- Veggie Udon Noodles with Sweet Ginger Sesame Sauce
- 1 lb whole grain pasta, fettuccine or penne work well
- 1/4 cup veggie broth or water
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb mushrooms of choice, Portobello, button, or others
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups Tofu Sour Cream, recipe below
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley or flakes
Tofu Sour Cream
- 1 package tofu, firm silken
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (red wine or apple cider work well)
- 1 clove garlic, (approximately 1 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- Begin by putting pasta on to cook according to package directions. While this is cooking start the mushroom stroganoff.
- In a large skillet, saute diced onion in 3 Tbsp of veggie broth or water approximately 5 minutes or until tender. Add more veggie broth, 1 Tbsp at a time, if needed to keep from sticking.
- Add minced garlic, and cook another minute, adding more veggie broth if needed.
- Stir in mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, salt/pepper, and dry white wine. Cook on medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes.
- While this is cooking, make tofu sour cream in a blender.
- Drain cooked pasta and set to the side.
- Add tofu sour cream to stroganoff mixture, along with cooked pasta. Stir well.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
Tofu Sour Cream
- Open tofu container and drain and press the water out. Blend all ingredients in a blender until creamy, scraping down sides of the blender as needed. Serve on baked potatoes, tacos, or enchiladas. Recipe makes approximately one pint of sour cream. 2 cups will be used in this stroganoff recipe. Sour cream keeps in the refrigerator for about 10 days.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 2.8gSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 26.9gFiber: 3gProtein: 7.6g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.