Take those greens to the next level with this Vinegar Oil-Free Salad Dressing that requires only 5 ingredients and 5-minutes to whip up to perfection. It’s a deliciously simple, gluten-free, oil-free, nut-free, plant-based topping for salads, pasta, veggie bowls, wraps, and even more!
This tangy vinegar sauce dressing is currently my favorite salad dressing to date. I’ve been eating it for years on Fresh Garden Spring Rolls, and I just recently asked my favorite Thai restaurant in the world how to make it at home. Guess what! The owner, Tang, actually wrote down the recipe for me to share!
What is oil-free dressing made of?
The recipe card at the bottom of the page has the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions.
One of the best things about this dressing is that you are very likely to already have everything you need at home to make it, so no running to the grocery store. Better yet, you don’t even need a blender, only a fork or whisk.
- Sweeteners such as date sugar
- Garlic clove
- Chili Flakes
- Salt (optional)
What kind of vinegar to use?
The original recipe from the Thai restaurant calls for rice vinegar, and that is what I use and recommend. It has a particular flavor that just works well for this dressing. But, there are other rice vinegar substitutes that would also work for this oil-free dressing.
Rice vinegar substitutes
Keep in mind that if you use a different vinegar, the color and taste of the dressing will change a bit, but the flavor should still be delicious. These are some good substitute options.
How to make oil-free salad dressing
Wait for it. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir. Nope, not kidding. That’s all there is to it. Anyone can make this stuff!
Even though chili flakes are in this recipe, it’s not spicy. Just start off with a tiny pinch and adjust to personal preference.
Your oil-free salad dressing questions answered:
- Q: Do I have to use rice vinegar? Nope, some great rice vinegar substitutes include apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, sherry vinegar, and lime or lemon juice.
- Q: What sweetener should I use? Date sugar is a great option. The restaurant owner said she sometimes uses honey as well. I know some of you are going to ask if you can omit the sweetener, and the answer is yes. But, it will be very tangy.
- Q: How much does this recipe make? It makes about 3/4 cup or 12 tablespoons. I highly recommend making at least a double batch because you’re going to find so many things to use it on. One of my favorites is veggie bowls.
- Q: How long will it last? About 1 hour at my house. Seriously though, it should last up to a couple of weeks in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Other great vegan oil-free salad dressings
For those of you new to the whole food plant-based lifestyle, we’ve created a FREE 7-Day Plant-Based Menu Planner to help you get started!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
If you try this recipe, please let us know how you like it by rating it and leaving a comment. We love to hear from you!
Oil-Free Salad Dressing in 5-Minutes
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir. Nope, not kidding. That’s all there is to it. Anyone can make this stuff!
- Even though chili flakes are in this recipe, it’s not spicy. Just start off with a tiny pinch and adjust to personal preference.
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
About Terri Edwards
Hi guys! I am the content creator behind EatPlant-Based and a licensed Food for Life instructor with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. I am passionate about sharing healthy recipes and tips to empower others to get healthy. I’m so glad you’re here! Read More…