Making gravy doesn’t get any simpler than this Easy Vegan Brown Gravy in 10-Minutes. Ladle it over mashed potatoes, mushroom roast, pasta, biscuits, and on everything else you can think of.
This gravy tastes like the stuff I grew up eating on mashed potatoes as a kid, but it happens to be vegan and has zero artery-clogging saturated animal fat.
Seriously, to me, the most important part of serving mashed potatoes is the gravy. It has to be smooth and savory to suit my tastes.
This recipe is so savory, and it only requires a few ingredients to make. Even though it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare, it tastes like it was marinated all day.
Ingredients in easy vegan gravy
- vegetable stock
- soy sauce
- vegan Worcestershire sauce
- cornstarch or other thickener
- maple syrup
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I make make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Vegan Worcestershire sauce may sound difficult to find, because most brands have anchovies in them. However, I have found that one of our local grocery store’s off-brands is actually anchovy-free and very inexpensive, so check the no-name brands at your store. You might just find a great inconspicuous vegan deal!
Thickener options for vegan brown gravy
There are many different thickeners that can be used in vegan gravy, and I’ve tried quite a few. To be honest, there’s not a huge difference in quality or taste. One thing I have found though is that cornstarch clumps more than others.
Most of the time I use arrowroot powder or potato starch for thickening gravies and sauces, because they tend not to leave clumps. You know how sometimes gravy can be clumpy? Though it doesn’t affect the flavor, it’s not very eye-appealing.
I find both arrowroot powder and potato starch at my local Asian grocery store at unbelievably reasonable prices. If you haven’t checked out Asian grocery stores in your area for spices and other vegan food items, you should. This short video is of me giving a tour around a market I visit often.
Making Vegan Gravy
Preparing this gravy is one of the easiest things you’ll ever do. The whole thing is finished in under 10-minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients, except the thickener and water, in a sauce pan and allow to simmer for about 5-minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the thickener and water.
- After the 5-minutes of simmering, simply whisk the thickener into the pot with the other ingredients to desired thickness, and you’re done.
One thing worth noting is that once you have poured the thickener into the pot with the rest of the simmering ingredients, it will begin to thicken immediately.
If left on the heat, it will continue to thicken and may get thicker than you would like. If that does happen, simply add more broth or water to the pot, and whisk to thin out. Just remember to remove it from the heat quickly.
The uses for this gravy are endless. Pour it over your favorite dishes including mashed potatoes, mushroom roast, pastas, biscuits, and so many others.
It’s considered a condiment at my house and has even been used for dipping baked French fries into. Our very favorite way to serve it is over mashed potatoes.
Mushroom Seitan Roast with Gravy
If you are planning a special event or for the holidays, this gravy goes so well with Mushroom Seitan Roast. I make it for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, and it really is a show-stopper with family and friends. The article also recommends some great side dishes and desserts.
Other recipes for the holidays
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup soy sauce, low sodium, or amino acids
- 1 Tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup, optional
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch pepper
- 5+ Tbsp thickener, cornstarch, arrowroot, potato starch
- 1/2 cup water
In medium sized pot, add all ingredients except thickener and water.
- Bring ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the thickener of your choice and water.
- After allow the pot on stove to simmer for 5-minutes, pour the thickener slurry in with other ingredients and begin to whisk immediately.
- As the gravy begins to thicken, continue whisking constantly until desired thickness is achieved. This will not take long. Then remove from heat.
- The gravy is ready to be poured over any and everything!
Wizard's Organic Vegan Worcestershire Sauce 5oz
Organic Arrowroot Powder or Flour or Starch (16 ounces) - Naturevibe Botanicals. Perfect For Baking, Cooking, Thickening Sauces and Gravy. Gluten-Free and Non-GMO
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 15 Total Fat: 0.1g Carbohydrates: 2.9g Fiber: .4g Protein: .9g