These Vegan Cheese Recipes are so amazing no one will ever realize they are dairy-free and oil-free. Many of them can even be made nut-free by substituting white beans for cashews.
When I am talking to someone about going vegan, they will inevitably say, “I just can’t do that because I love cheese too much.” I always let them know that there are delicious homemade vegan cheese recipes to try like my Dairy-Free Sliceable Cheese and even Vegan Cream Cheese.
Although there are many packaged vegan cheeses available, all of them are loaded with artery-clogging saturated fat, and that is something my family tries to avoid.
Ingredients used in homemade vegan cheese
There are a lot of different vegan cheese recipes out there, and most of them have a number of common ingredients. This is a short list of what the healthiest versions use for ingredients.
- Nuts- Cashews are probably the most common because they become creamy when blended.
- Beans- Many cashew cheeses can be made nut-free by using white beans.
- Potatoes- Surprisingly veggies like potatoes, carrots, and onions are also used a quite a few recipes like my Best Vegan Cheese Sauce.
- Nutritional yeast- This is not brewer’s yeast but rather an inactive yeast that has a cheesy flavor and is used as a seasoning in many recipes like these Nutritional Yeast Recipes.
- Spices- Some of the spices used are salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
Which vegan cheese sauce tastes the best?
The best vegan cheese in my opinion is all of them! Seriously though, it’s very hard to choose because each one is unique and has its own flavor.
Personally, I will probably always love this Best Vegan Cheese Sauce the most for a number of reasons. It was the first cheese recipe I ever made, and it can be used in so many ways. I’ll list some below.
How to use vegan cheese sauce
Each vegan cheese sauce has its own merits and can be used in different recipes and in many different ways. Here are some of my favorites!
- Best Vegan Cheese Sauce – Can be served over baked potatoes, steamed veggies, and even with tacos. We also mix it with salsa and serve it in Nacho Supreme.
- Mozzarella Cashew Cheese – This one has become our favorite for Vegan Pizza and French Onion Soup. It is also terrific drizzled over Mexican Stuffed Peppers.
- Vegan Ricotta Cheese – Perfect to serve on crackers or crusty bread chunks, as well as in Spinach Black Bean Lasagna.
- Easy Cream Cheese – Great on toasted bagels and crackers.
- Vegan Parmesan– This one is a dry cheese, and we love to sprinkle it over pizza, baked potatoes, and pasta.
Also, be sure to check out my Vegan Cheese Recipes page for more great recipes.
For those of you new to the whole food plant-based lifestyle, we’ve created a FREE 7-Day Plant-Based Menu Planner to help you get started!