These Vegan Cheese Recipes are so amazing no one will ever realize they are dairy-free and oil-free. Many of them can even be made nut-free by substituting white beans for cashews.
When I am talking to someone about going vegan, they will inevitably say, “I just can’t do that because I love cheese too much.” I always let them know that there are delicious homemade vegan cheese recipes to try like my Dairy-Free Sliceable Cheese and even Vegan Cream Cheese.
Although there are many packaged vegan cheeses available, all of them are loaded with artery-clogging saturated fat, and that is something my family tries to avoid.
That’s why, over the years, I have come up with alternatives like recipes for Tofu Ricotta and Cashew Mozzarella. There really are so many different ones to try!
Ingredients used in homemade vegan cheese
There are a lot of different vegan cheese recipes out there, and most of them have a number of common ingredients. This is a short list of what the healthiest versions use for ingredients.
- Nuts- Cashews are probably the most common because they become creamy when blended.
- Beans- Many cashew cheeses can be made nut-free by using white beans.
- Potatoes- Surprisingly veggies like potatoes, carrots, and onions are also used a quite a few recipes like my Best Vegan Cheese Sauce.
- Nutritional yeast- This is not brewer’s yeast but rather an inactive yeast that has a cheesy flavor and is used as a seasoning in many recipes like these Nutritional Yeast Recipes.
- Spices- Some of the spices used are salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
Which vegan cheese sauce tastes the best?
The best vegan cheese in my opinion is all of them! Seriously though, it’s very hard to choose because each one is unique and has its own flavor.
Personally, I will probably always love this Best Vegan Cheese Sauce the most for a number of reasons. It was the first cheese recipe I ever made, and it can be used in so many ways. I’ll list some below.
How to use vegan cheese sauce
Each vegan cheese sauce has its own merits and can be used in different recipes and in many different ways. Here are some of my favorites!
- Best Vegan Cheese Sauce – Can be served over baked potatoes, steamed veggies, and even with tacos. We also mix it with salsa and serve it in Nacho Supreme.
- Mozzarella Cashew Cheese – This one has become our favorite for Vegan Pizza and French Onion Soup. It is also terrific drizzled over Mexican Stuffed Peppers.
- Vegan Ricotta Cheese – Perfect to serve on crackers or crusty bread chunks, as well as in Spinach Black Bean Lasagna.
- Easy Cream Cheese – Great on toasted bagels and crackers.
- Vegan Parmesan– This one is a dry cheese, and we love to sprinkle it over pizza, baked potatoes, and pasta.
There’s even a Spicy Nacho Dip recipe from the PlantPure Nation Cookbook that is pretty awesome when used as a vegan cheese sauce.
Also, be sure to check out my Vegan Cheese Recipes page for more great recipes.
For those of you new to the whole food plant-based lifestyle, we’ve created a FREE 7-Day Plant-Based Menu Planner to help you get started!
Recipes to drizzle it over
Vegan Cheese Sauce Recipes
Everything just taste better with cheese, and that's why these healthy vegan cheese recipes are so amazing no one will ever realize they are dairy-free and oil-free! Click on each of the photos, recipe titles, or 'Get the Recipe' buttons to see full recipes with ingredients, measurements, instructions, and a print button.
I use this cheese sauce for everything--nachos, tacos, pizza, baked potato and steamed veggie topping, and so much more!
This Cashew Vegan Cheese Mozzarella is fabulous on cashew cheese pizza, lasagna, quesadillas, and anything else you can think of. With a warm and nutty flavor, it even stretches!
This Sweet Potato Cheese Sauce is packed with wholesome ingredients, amazingly delicious, and diabetes-friendly. Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and dairy-free.
This Vegan Cheese Recipe has been a long time coming. Though I have a number of great dairy-free cheese recipes already, all of them have been sauces. That’s where this one is different. It’s actually sliceable for serving on crackers, sandwiches, and charcuterie boards.
This Vegan Nacho Cheese is incredible as a dip for baked chips as well as on fries, baked potatoes, and pizza. For healthy burritos and quesadillas, it can't be beaten! Make it with cashews or white beans.
Ridiculously easy to make, this Vegan Cream Cheese is fabulous smeared on bagels, muffins, crackers, or celery sticks. Deliciously simple for breakfast and snacks!
This homemade vegan ricotta cheese is made with only 7 simple ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes for a deliciously healthy plant-based cheese alternative.
Making homemade vegan parmesan is surprisingly easy and only requires a handful of ingredients. It keeps for months, so you’ll have it available to sprinkle on any and everything.
Monday 17th of June 2019
Wow! I just made this cheese sauce and it is by far the best. I just made a scrumptious dinner. I lined a dinner plate with fresh spinach then I put boiled baby potatoes and broccoli on top of the spinach then poured this cheese sauce all over. MAN OH MAN
Tuesday 18th of June 2019
That's awesome! I hope it will be a new favorite. We love this stuff too.
Friday 7th of September 2018
I cannot locate the entire recipes for each of the 4 vegan cheeses. Please help. They sound delicious. Is there someplace where I can see and print out the exact recipes? Please advise
Saturday 8th of September 2018
Yes, each of the 4 recipes can be found by clicking on their name or picture in this article. This will take you to each recipe where you will be able to see and print out ingredients and instructions. Enjoy!