This simple Curried Sweet Potato Soup recipe can be prepared in about 20 minutes flat! It is adapted from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
Table of contents
We love this sweet potato curry soup because it’s…
- Simple to make
- Loaded with nutrients
- Warm & comforting
This is an easy one-pot recipe that can also be made in a slow cooker or crockpot.
How to make sweet potato curry soup
Saute onion and garlic in a little veggie broth until slightly browned.
Add red curry paste and slowly stir it for about a minute.
Slowly stir in the veggie broth, making sure it thoroughly integrates with the curry paste. Add chili powder, salt, and nutritional yeast.
Drain and rinse chickpeas.
Add to soup, along with diced sweet potatoes.
Simmer the soup for about 5 minutes until the sweet potatoes are al dente.
Add spinach leaves and allow to sit on heat another minute to wilt.
Remove from heat and serve.
UPDATE: I now have a delicious Homemade Vegetable Bouillon Powder that is a wonderful addition to soups, beans, and so much more!
With added sweet potatoes, fresh spinach, onion, and spices, this dish is loaded with phytonutrients and antioxidants that promote health and fight disease.
Nutrition in chickpeas
Did you know that just one cup of cook chickpeas has over 12 grams of fiber? Better yet, they contain both soluble fiber and insoluble fiber, the latter of which helps lower LDL cholesterol.
In addition, each cup of garbanzo beans packs a whopping 12 grams of protein!
There are so many benefits to these little legumes. Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber, iron, zinc, phosphorus, B vitamins and more.
With so many vitamins and nutrients, chickpeas are a powerhouse of nutrition.
Other great soup recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
- Saute onion and garlic in a little veggie broth until slightly browned.
- Add red curry paste and slowly stir it for about a minute.
- Slowly stir in the veggie broth, making sure it thoroughly integrates with the curry paste. Add chili powder, salt, and nutritional yeast.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Add to soup.
- Add the diced sweet potato.
- Simmer the soup for about 5 minutes until the sweet potatoes are al dente.
- Add spinach leaves and allow to sit on heat another minute to wilt.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- To make this in a crockpot, simply follow step #1 by sauteing onions. Add all ingredients to a large cooker and allow to cook on low for 2 hours. This will allow the flavors plenty of time to blend and become more powerful.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 2.7gCarbohydrates: 42.4gFiber: 9.4gProtein: 14.7g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.