The ultimate snack for traveling! We are loving this little crunchy, tangy, protein-packed Roasted Chickpea Snack. Warning, you will need to make more than one batch!
Whether you make your own freshly cooked chickpeas or use those cans sitting in your cupboard, you’re going to love these. They are even a great healthy snack for traveling and on the go.
Table of contents
These roasted chickpeas are fabulous because they’re…
- Perfect snack
Roasted in the oven, chickpeas transform into a crispy, salty, savory snack. So irresistible and easy to eat by the handful. They are great for guilt-free snacking because they are actually healthy.
How to make healthy roasted chickpeas
I sometimes use canned chickpeas because they are already cooked, but making your own from dried chickpeas is even better. If you have an InstantPot, they can go from dry beans to cooked beans in about 30 minutes.
If using canned chickpeas, just be sure to drain and rinse them before making this crispy chickpea snack. You can do this by pouring them into a colander or strainer.
The trick to getting that vinegary flavor is to parboil them in vinegar for 15-minutes, then allow them to soak another 30 minutes. This gives them time to soak up that tangy flavor.
Place in oven at 400°F and allow to cook for 45 minutes-1 hour, STIRRING EVERY 15 MINUTES, just like you do when making party mix. The temperature and frequent stirring are necessary to get them crunchy. Ovens vary, so some may only require 45 minutes while others will take longer.
I line my baking pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking and to make clean up a breeze.
Watch them very closely and test them when they become golden brown. There really is a fine line between perfect and overcooked, so I monitor them constantly at the end.
Be prepared when you open the oven door between stirrings. The vinegar will be stout and take you by surprise!
I’ve tried different versions of roasted chickpeas snacks with assorted seasonings and just couldn’t get the flavor to pop, that is until these. Terrific tangy vinegar snack!
Air fryer cooking instructions
Place seasoned chickpeas in the air fryer basket.
Set the temperature to 360°F and time to 17 minutes.
After 5-minutes of cooking, open and shake the peas around. Close and continue cooking.
Stop and shake about every 5 minutes or so.
Once they are finished cooking, remove them from the basket, and serve immediately.
Your Questions Answered
- Q: Are roasted chickpeas good for you? Definitely! Roasted chickpeas are full of fiber and protein, and they help to keep you full for hours. They are a terrific healthy snack.
- Q: How long can you keep roasted chickpeas? They should last about 5-7 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You will need to reheat them in an oven or toaster oven to get that crisp back.
- Q: Are roasted chickpeas good for weight loss? Chickpeas are loaded with fiber that helps you feel full for longer. With that full feeling, you’ll eat less which is great for weight loss.
Other healthy snacks
- 15 Easy Plant-Based Snack Idea
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Colorful Chili Bean Dip
- Crispy Air Fryer Chickpeas
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, (or 1-1/2 cups fresh cooked chickpeas)
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Place them in a pot with vinegar and allow to boil approximately 15 minutes.
- Turn the burner off and allow the pot to sit for 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain vinegar from chickpeas (but don't rinse them) and pour onto a prepared baking sheet. Add garlic powder, sea salt, and parsley flakes and stir them around on the sheet.
- Place in oven at 400 degrees and allow to cook for 45 minutes-1 hour, STIRRING EVERY 15 MINUTES, just like you do when making party mix. The temperature and frequent stirring is necessary to get them crunchy. Ovens vary so some may only require 45 minutes while others will take longer.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, and eat!
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 2gCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.