I live in the Carolinas where cole slaw is a staple. This red slaw is not our traditional creamy mayo cole slaw, but a sweet and tangy variation that goes great with anything, especially barbecue dishes.
One thing I love about slaw is that it requires absolutely no cooking. Simply combine veggies in a bowl.
I even like to buy the preshredded cabbage that often includes green cabbage, purple cabbage, and carrots. It is a huge time-saving product and contains nothing except the raw vegetables listed.
Ingredients in red slaw
- hot sauce (optional)
- salt & pepper
Buying the pre-shredded cabbage or slaw in a bag makes this recipe a breeze to pull together, especially great on hot summer days when the Carolina sun is beating down and the humidity is high. On those kind of days heating up the oven makes the house feel like a furnace.
Simply stir in the dressing ingredients like ketchup, vinegar, sweetener, kosher salt, paprika, pepper, and hot sauce (if using), and serve!
Nutritional Value of Cabbage
Like broccoli, cauliflower, collards and kale, cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable. Eating different types of cabbage — green cabbage, red cabbage, Savoy cabbage or bok choy — boosts your intake of vitamin C and other important nutrients.
Cabbage is low in sodium, with only 5 mg per serving of plain raw or cooked cabbage — approaching 0 percent of your recommended daily value. Half-cup servings of cabbage also contain 2 percent of your daily value of calcium.
While a serving of raw cabbage provides 2 percent of your daily value of iron, a serving of cooked cabbage has none.” LiveStrong
Other Great No-Cooking Required Recipes
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 1 14 oz package of cole slaw, or 1 lb. fresh sliced cabbage
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sweetener, sugar, agave, etc.
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or to your taste
- 1 tsp paprika, or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce, optional
- In large mixing bowl, add slaw (or cabbage) and onion.
- In medium bowl, whisk together ketchup, vinegar, sweetener, kosher salt, paprika, pepper, and hot sauce (if using).
- Pour wet mixture into large bowl of cabbage and onion.
- Mix thoroughly and place in refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour or more. Serve chilled.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70 Total Fat: .2g Carbohydrates: 17.3g Fiber: 2.8g Sugar: 13.5g Protein: 1.4g