I live in the Carolinas where coleslaw is a staple. This Red Slaw is not our traditional creamy mayo coleslaw, but a sweet and tangy variation that goes great with anything, especially barbecue dishes.
One thing I love about slaw is that it requires absolutely no cooking. Simply combine veggies in a bowl.
Table of contents
We love this red slaw because it’s…
- Packed with wholesome ingredients
- Perfect with sandwiches and BBQ
- Simply delicious
I even like to buy the pre-shredded cabbage that often includes green cabbage, purple cabbage, and carrots. It is a huge time-saving product and contains nothing except the raw vegetables listed.
Ingredients in raw slaw
- hot sauce (optional)
- salt & pepper
Buying the pre-shredded cabbage or slaw in a bag makes this recipe a breeze to pull together, especially great on hot summer days when the Carolina sun is beating down and the humidity is high. On those kinds of days heating up the oven makes the house feel like a furnace.
How to make red slaw
In a large mixing bowl, add slaw (or cabbage) and diced onion.
In a medium bowl, whisk together ketchup, vinegar, sweetener, kosher salt, paprika, pepper, and hot sauce (if using).
Store-bought ketchup is loaded with sugar, so try my very easy to make homemade ketchup that only takes about 10-minutes to make.
Pour the wet mixture into the large bowl of cabbage and onion.
Mix thoroughly and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour or more. Serve chilled.
*Originally published November 2015.
This delicious cabbage slaw goes particularly well with vegan bbq. Check out some of my great BBQ Recipes.
More no-cooking required recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
- 1 14 oz package of cole slaw, or 1 lb. fresh sliced cabbage
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweetener, sugar, sucanat, agave, etc.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to your taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika, or smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, add slaw (or cabbage) and onion.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ketchup, vinegar, sweetener, kosher salt, paprika, pepper, and hot sauce (if using).
- Pour wet mixture into the large bowl of cabbage and onion.
- Mix thoroughly and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour or more. Serve chilled.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Total Fat: .2gCarbohydrates: 17.3gFiber: 2.8gSugar: 13.5gProtein: 1.4g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.