Easy, filling, and inexpensive, these Veggie Lentil Sloppy Joes are a quick meal that reheats well for lunch the next day or two.
Ingredients in lentil sloppy joes
Sloppy Joe ingredients include:
- tomato sauce
- tomato paste
- balsamic vinegar
- garlic powder and other spices
Just recently, in one of my Food for Life classes, a new friend told me that she tried these Sloppy Joe’s and was surprised that she loved them. It reminded me that we love them at my house too.
Other fresh ingredients called for are onion, celery, and red bell peppers.
Nutrition in lentils
Sloppy Joes are so easy to make and will fill you up for hours, because they are loaded with fiber.
In addition to the protein-packed lentils, this recipe also uses bulgur.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
What is bulgur?
Bulgur is a whole wheat grain that is cooked exactly like rice in about 15 minutes. (Follow package directions).
I like to make a big batch of it and store in freezer to use in recipes like tacos, stews, chili beans, etc. because bulgur adds a ground beef texture and soaks up flavors of dish you’re preparing.
Serve on whole grain buns with favorite toppings. Suggestions– lettuce, spinach, onions, relish, pickles, cole slaw, anything goes!
I think it’s time for some Sloppy Joe’s!
Other Plant-Based Burger Recipes
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 5 Tbps veggie broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup lentils, I used red lentils but any will work fine
- 1 cup dry bulgur wheat
- 4 cups water
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin sauce, Found in Asian section of most grocery stores
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- In large cooking pot, saute diced onion, celery, and red bell peppers in veggie broth approximately 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Then add lentils, bulgur, water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, and Hoisin sauce. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat down to low and cook uncovered about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste lentils to make sure they are tender. Serve on whole grain buns with favorite toppings. Suggestions-- lettuce, spinach, onions, relish, pickles, cole slaw, anything goes!
- To make this in a crock pot, simply add all ingredients to a large cooker and allow to cook on low for 3-4 hours. I completely skip sauteing the onion, celery, and bell peppers because they have plenty of time to bring out their delicious flavors in the slow cooker.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203 Total Fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 39g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 12g Protein: 12g