Zesty and full of flavor, this Tangy Tomato Dressing is fabulous over garden veggies, pasta, or greens. It’s a much healthier vegan salad dressing option than the high-fat, oil-laden store-bought varieties.
This vegan salad dressing recipe came from my husband’s love of another version of it from a local steakhouse in South Carolina. It’s low-fat and oil-free.
Table of contents
We love this oil-free vegan salad dressing because it’s…
- Easy to make
- Simply delicious
How to make vegan salad dressing
This is such a simple recipe, and it only requires a few ingredients and spices that you are likely to already have on hand.
Combine all ingredients–ketchup, water, sweetener, vinegar, spices– in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, whisking often.
Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
Allow to cool, then refrigerate. it will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Tips for making this dressing
- This is a great recipe to use homemade ketchup in. I have a great homemade ketchup recipe to try that only takes a few minutes to make.
- The main reason for cooking this recipe is to dissolve any granular, less refined sugar that you are using. If you are planning to sweeten it with maple syrup, agave, or another liquid natural sweetener, the cooking time can be reduced.
- The amount of sweetener (1/4 c) can be reduced in this recipe. I would suggest also reducing the amount of vinegar (1/4 c) to help offset the tanginess.
- Another great use for this salad dressing is for french fries. It makes a terrific dipping sauce for crispy Air Fryer French Fries.
Keep this salad dressing in the refrigerator for up 7-10 days.
Other oil-free vegan salad dressings
- Cool Ranch Dressing & Dip
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Oil-Free Vinegar Salad Dressing
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
- 2/3 cup organic ketchup (or homemade)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup agave or other sweetner, (I use sucanat)
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- pinch thyme
- dash salt
- Combine all ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, whisking often.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then refrigerate.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 18Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 4.3gFiber: .1gProtein: .3g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.