This Honey Mustard Salad is amazing and includes an assortment of beans, rice, and veggies. So it’s completely filling, whether eaten as a main dish salad or in a lettuce wrap. Eat the rainbow!
We love this salad because it’s…
- Bursting with flavor
- Perfectly sweet
- Great for picnics
- A filling meal on its own
This salad is a terrific side dish or filling for a tortilla wrap or lettuce leaf! The recipe comes from Mary McDougall, with the addition of my Honey Mustard Sauce recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
The good news is that this honey mustard recipe can be enjoyed by both vegans and plant-based folks because there is a delicious vegan option called Bee-Free Honee, and it is available on Amazon.
This easy low-fat vegan mayonnaise recipe requires only 5-ingredients and a blender to make! It is completely egg-free and dairy-free.
The recipe has only 11 calories and (.4) grams of fat per tablespoon. And it’s loaded with protein and calcium because it’s made with tofu.
Ingredients in Honey Mustard Salad
- brown rice
- red kidney beans
- green peas
- corn niblets
- black olives
- honey mustard sauce
A full list of ingredients, measurements, instructions, and a print button can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
We really love serving this recipe in a tortilla wrap or even an Endive lettuce leaf.
Is soy healthy?
Some people are not too sure about tofu, because it contains phytoestrogens. Turns out, phytoestrogens are very health promoting and are not at all like our body’s natural estrogen that can cause harm and lead to disease.
This makes so much sense, because the countries that consume the most soy, such as Japan and China, have the lowest rates of cancer and chronic disease. This short video will explain the benefits of soy.
This recipe is from Dr. John McDougall’s wife, Mary McDougall.
If you would like to make your own oil-free tortillas, this is an easy recipe for that.
Other great picnic recipes
- 2-1/2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 15-oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn nibblets, thawed
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup pimento, chopped
- 2 Tbsp black olives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup Honey Mustard Dressing, (recipe below)
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce, optional
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
Honey Mustard Dressing
- Place the rice and beans in a large bowl and combine. Add the corn, peas, onion, pimiento, olives, and cilantro. Toss well to mix.
- Combine the salad dressing and Tabasco in a mixing cup and whisk until smooth. Pour over the salad and mix well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Honey Mustard Dressing
- In a large bowl, whisk all ingredients together until well blended.
- My low-fat mayo recipe is perfect for this recipe.
- This is a terrific side dish or filling for a tortilla wrap!
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 1.7gCarbohydrates: 29.3gFiber: 6.2gProtein: 7.4g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.