This oil-free vegan roasted red pepper hummus recipe requires only a handful of ingredients and a few minutes to make. If you have 10 minutes and a blender or food processor, you’ve got a delicious healthy snack.
What I love about this hummus is that it’s…
- Super healthy
- Perfect for snacking
- Easily transportable for picnics
- Bursting with flavor
- A great sandwich or wrap spread
- Amazingly delicious
We have no-oil vegan hummus in our refrigerator most of the time to use as a dip and sandwich/veggie wrap spread.
Even when we go on road trips, we carry a small lunchbox cooler with this stuff.
What is hummus made of?
There are so many different varieties of hummus, and most often it is made with a base of chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) and a handful of other ingredients that are just blended together in a food processor or blender. Hummus base ingredients include:
- chickpeas (garbanzo beans or edamame)
- garlic cloves
- tahini (crushed sesame seeds) optional
- vegetable broth
- lemon juice
How to make roasted red pepper hummus
If using canned beans, drain and rinse them first.
Place chickpeas, roasted red peppers, green onions, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, vegetable broth, cumin, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor.
Blend until smooth. I like to leave mine a little chunky. The longer blended, the smoother it will be.
Serve with sliced vegetables like carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, celery, bell peppers, and pita bread. It is also excellent as a sandwich or a wrap spread. Link to Veggies in a Blanket below. Store in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 10 days.
*Original publish date April 19, 2017.
Can you freeze hummus?
This hummus lasts approximately 7-10 days in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
Hummus even freezes well in an airtight container for up to 6-8 months. The day before you want to eat it, move the hummus container from the freezer to the refrigerator. It takes at least a few hours to thaw until it’s ready to eat. Thawing can take longer depending on how much is in your container.
It’s best to freeze hummus in small portions to make defrosting quicker and to have handy small amounts to eat in one sitting.
Tips for hummus
Serve with sliced vegetables like carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, celery, bell peppers, and pita bread. This roasted red pepper vegan hummus recipe is also excellent as a sandwich or wraps spread.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is terrific in vegan pinwheels like these Vegan Sandwich Pinwheels. It doesn’t get much easier and tasty than this!
So many people ask about easy go-to snacks, and this hummus is one of my favorites. In the summer, we go boating at the lake a lot. That means picnic-friendly foods, and this hummus is a great option. It’s usually accompanied by Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwiches.
Recipes from The Cancer Survivors Guide by Dr. Neal Barnard.
Other terrific hummus recipes
- Easy Garlic Hummus Recipe
- Italian Vegan Hummus
- Edamame Hummus
- Ultimate Hummus & Veggie Sandwich
- 5-Minute Chocolate Hummus
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas/ garbanzo beans, or 1.5 cups fresh cooked
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained, packed in water not oil
- 3 green onions
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp tahini, ground sesame seeds (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste preference)
- If using canned beans, drain and rinse them first.
- Place chickpeas, roasted red peppers, green onions, lemon juice, tahini (if using), garlic, vegetable broth, cumin, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth. I like to leave mine a little chunky. The longer blended, the smoother it will be.
- Serve with sliced vegetables like carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, celery, bell peppers, and pita bread. It is also excellent as a sandwich or wrap spread. Link to Veggies in a Blanket below. Store in the refrigerator in a covered container up to 10 days.
- This hummus last approximately 7-10 days in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 7gSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.