Tired of a boring sandwich? Let me help you fix that with this Ultimate Veggie & Hummus Sandwich that is piled high with crunchy vegetables and creamy hummus and can be ready in 15 minutes or less.
I absolutely LOVE sandwiches, because they are layers of colorful healthy deliciousness! They are perfect for easy dinners that don’t require any cooking on busy or hot days. They’re also terrific for on-the-go lunches to take to work, school, or picnics.
This vegan sandwich is super healthy and easily customizable. It’s actually more of a concept than a recipe, because all of the ingredients are completely optional and interchangeable.
What do you put on a vegan sandwich?
- Bread – A nutritious whole grain bread (or gluten-free) is the foundation of any sandwich. However, there is also the option to use wraps or even large green leaves like romaine or collard greens.
- Spread – Hummus is one of the very best spread options for a sandwich, in my opinion, and there are so many varieties to choose from. Check out my Hummus Recipes Page.
- Veggies – This list can be long or short, but some of my personal favorite veggies for sandwiches include lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, onion, carrots, bell peppers, bean sprouts, black olives, pickles, banana peppers, avocado, and so much more.
- Seasonings – These would include salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and dressings like the ones on my Dressings Page.
Healthy vegan hummus recipe options
You will notice in the video for this recipe that I use two different kinds of hummus on my sandwich. You can do the same or use only one kind if preferred. Some of my favorite varieties of healthy oil-free hummus to use are:
What are the benefits of hummus?
Homemade oil-free hummus has some impressive nutritional benefits. One cup of a basic healthy hummus has:
- 15 grams of protein
- 4-5 grams of fat
- 45 grams of complex carbohydrates
- 6 grams of fiber
- meets 70% of daily value for folate
- meets 26% of DV for iron
- manganese, magnesium, zinc, and copper
We love this sandwich because it’s…
- Easy to make
- Requires absolutely no cooking
- Is filling
- Tastes amazing
RECIPE CARD BELOW
Can you freeze hummus?
This hummus lasts approximately 7-10 days in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
Hummus even freezes well in an airtight container for up to 6-8 months. The day before you want to eat it, move the hummus container from the freezer to the refrigerator. It takes at least a few hours to thaw until it’s ready to eat. Thawing can take longer depending on how much is in your container.
It’s best to freeze hummus in small portions to make defrosting quicker and to have handy small amounts to eat in one sitting.
Eat the rainbow
In the Food for Life nutrition education and cooking classes that I teach, we always talk about eating the rainbow. This is because, the more naturally colorful the meal, the more likely it is to have an abundance of phytonutrients and antioxidants.
- Red – Tomatoes, watermelon, guava. Lycopene is an antioxidant that cuts cancer risks.
- Orange – Carrots, yams, sweet potatoes, mangos, pumpkins. Beta-carotene that supports a healthy immune system.
- Yellow-orange – Oranges, lemons, grapefruits, papayas, peaches. Vitamin C, flavonoids that inhibit tumor cell growth and detoxify.
- Green – Spinach, kale, collards, and others. Folate that builds healthy cells and genetic material.
- Green-white – Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower. Indoles, lutein that eliminates excess estrogen and carcinogens.
- White-green – Garlic, onions, chives, asparagus. Allyl sulfides that destroy cancer cells, reduce cell division and support the immune system.
- Blue – Grapes, berries, plums. Resveratrol that may suppress estrogen activity.
- Brown – Whole grains and legumes (beans). Fiber that removes carcinogens.
Other sandwich recipes
- Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich Spread
- Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich
- Smoked Tempeh Sandwich (TLT)/ Tempeh Lettuce Tomato
- Barbecue Sandwiches Vegan Style
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 2 slices whole grain bread (or gluten-free)
- 2 Tbsp homemade hummus
- Veggies of choice including: lettuce, tomato, onions, avocados slices, bell peppers, pickles, bean sprouts, black olives, banana peppers, jalapenos, anything else you can think of.
- salt & pepper & spices
- Toast bread (optional).
- Spread hummus on each bread slice.
- Top with veggies of choice.
- Season with salt, pepper, oregano, or any spice desired.
- Slice and eat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285 Total Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Carbohydrates: 52g Fiber: 11g Protein: 11g