Move over B.L.T.! It’s time for a new, heart-friendly smoked tempeh TLT sandwich that is slightly crunchy, yet sometimes chewy, smokey, and hearty. So easy and flavorful! This vegan sandwich idea will surprise you with how delicious it is!
What is Tempeh?
Tempeh is found in most grocery stores in the produce section. It’s a traditional soy product from Indonesia.
It is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form and has a nutty, mushroom, meaty flavor.
Easy Tempeh Marinade
This smoked tempeh marinade requires only 3 simple ingredients. Whisk all ingredients in a bowl, add tempeh, and allow to marinate a few hours or even overnight.
- soy sauce
- liquid smoke
- maple syrup
Tempeh is High in Protein
Add tempeh to your diet to boost your protein intake. Each 1-cup serving of tempeh contains 31 grams of protein, which is 55 percent of the recommended daily intake for men and 67 percent for women, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Tempeh contains high-quality complete protein and provides all the amino acids you must obtain from your diet. Its protein content helps you maintain muscle tissue, and also make enzymes your cells need to function. —LiveStrong
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
A BLT sandwich has nothing on this delicious T.L.T.-Smoked tempeh, lettuce, and tomato sandwich. I like to add a little mustard to mine. Low-fat, Eggless Mayo is also delicious on this sandwich.
Whole Foods Version of this sandwich is TTLA
Tabitha Brown found Whole Foods version of this Smoked Tempeh sandwich, and she cracks me up!
My Eggless Low-Fat Vegan Mayonnaise recipe goes perfectly with these sandwiches!
You might also like this Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich!
Other Great Tempeh Recipes
- Sweet & Sour Tempeh
- Easy Barbecued Tempeh
- Smoked Tempeh Bacon
- Tempeh Broccoli Saute
- Breakfast English Muffins
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 1 8 oz package tempeh, found in most grocery stores
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- tomatoes, sliced
- lettuce leaves, or spinach
- low-fat eggless mayo, recipe below
- mustard, (optional)
- In medium bowl, combine soy sauce, liquid smoke, and maple syrup and mix well.
- Slice tempeh into strips. Place slices into mixture and allow to marinate. The longer, the stronger the flavor will be. I like to leave it in refrigerator overnight if possible, but at least 30 minutes is necessary.
- Add tempeh strips to a fry pan with a little bit of the marinade liquid and cook over medium high heat until crispy on one side. Turn and brown on other side. Add more of the marinade and cook until caramelized. About 5 minutes each side is a reasonable estimate. If baking in the oven, cook at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Toast your bread (or don't), add Eggless Low Fat Mayo, tomato slices, lettuce or spinach leaves. I like a little mustard on mine. Serve and eat!
12" Stone Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri, with 100% APEO & PFOA-Free Stone-Derived Non-Stick Coating from Germany
Living Nutritionals All-Natural Pure Liquid Smoke 5oz (147ml)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Protein: 6g