This delicious vegan stuffed portobello mushroom recipe is loaded with nearly 10 grams of healthy plant-based protein.
It will delight your taste buds with fire roasted tomatoes, red bell peppers, and white beans, topping a giant meaty Portobello mushroom!
Piled high with white beans and sauteed vegetables. Drizzled with creamy vegan cheese sauce. This is an amazing heart healthy recipe that will delight the whole family!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
What makes this dish so delicious and healthy is my Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce.
Ingredients in vegan cheese sauce
Incredibly some of the ingredients used to make this amazing cheese sauce are…
This recipe makes approximately 1 quart and can be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks to be used on baked potatoes, tacos, lasagna, and so much more!
For those mushroom-lovers out there–like me–this giant meaty Portobello mushroom recipe, drizzled with creamy cheese sauce, is for you!
Portobello Mushroom Nutrition
Portobello, or portabella, mushrooms are the mature form of baby crimini mushrooms. They grow up to 6 inches in diameter and possess a flat cap with a dense, meaty texture.
Mushrooms are one of the few natural sources of vitamin D, but the amount they contain depends on their exposure to ultraviolet light. Most portobellos only have a small amount, but some producers significantly boost the vitamin D by treating them with ultraviolet light, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
One cup of diced portobello, which equals about one mushroom, has 19 calories, 2 grams of protein and 3 grams of total carbohydrates.–LiveStrong
Other Great Mushroom Recipes
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 8 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- mushroom stems, chopped
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- veggie broth
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, or a couple of handfuls
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning, dry
- vegan cheese sauce, recipe below
Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup broth from cooked veggies
- 1/2 cup raw cashews or white beans, or 1/4 c cashews + 1/4 cup beans
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch paprika
- 1/2 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 3-4 Tbsps. of veggie broth, shallots, garlic, and chopped mushroom stems. Cook until caramelized, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add another 3-4 Tbsp. veggie broth and red bell peppers and cook another 4 minutes.
- Add beans, fire roasted tomatoes, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and smoked paprika. Cook approximately 8 minutes on medium heat. Toss in spinach and cook until wilted, approximately 4 minutes.
- Remove spinach mixture from skillet and set aside in a bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup veggie broth and balsamic vinegar to skillet. Then place mushrooms in the pan, stem side down. Cook for 5-6 minutes. Flip and cook another 5 minutes.
- Turn skillet off. Fill each mushroom with an equal amount of spinach mixture and drizzle the balsamic pan drippings. Drizzle each with Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce (recipe below).
- Transfer mushrooms to a baking dish and place in oven under broiler for 2-3 minutes, until 'cheese' sauce gets bubbly. Serve immediately.
Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce
- In medium pot, bring about 3 cups of water to a boil. Place potatoes, carrots, and onion in pot and allow to cook until veggies are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Cooking time will vary based on how small the veggies are diced.
- When veggies are tender, drain and place them in blender. NOTE: reserve 1 cup of the broth, and add to blender. Add all the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208 Total Fat: 3.1g Carbohydrates: 33.6g Fiber: 12.6g Protein: 11.8g