I was skeptical about dairy-free sour cream because I had always loved the dairy version, but this tofu Vegan Sour Cream recipe is surprisingly delicious! Creamy and tangy wonderfulness!
There’s just nothing like a big soft baked potato with a huge dollop of tangy sour cream on top. That’s one of my favorite ways to use this dairy-free sour cream recipe.
This vegan sour cream recipe is amazing because it’s…
- Full of flavor
- Great with nachos, baked potatoes, and more
What is dairy-free sour cream made with?
This vegan sour cream recipe without cashews is made with simple ingredients you likely already have on hand such as:
- lemon juice
- garlic clove
The recipe card at the bottom of the page has the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions.
How to make non-dairy sour cream
This vegan sour cream recipe is so easy to make that anyone–and I do mean anyone–can make it.
Simply place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. That’s seriously all there is to making this vegan alternative to sour cream.
This is a terrific dairy-free sour cream alternative and can be made in only about 5 minutes and makes approximately one pint.
Tips for making this recipe
- Seasoning- For me, tweaking the salt, lemon juice, and vinegar for your personal taste can really make this vegan sour cream pop.
- Tofu- Firm silken tofu works best for this recipe. After chilling in the refrigerator, this vegan sour cream becomes thicker.
- Vitamix- More terrific Vitamix blender recipes
- Storage- In an airtight container in the refrigerator, this should keep for about 7-10 days. It does NOT freeze well.
How long does vegan sour cream last?
Stored in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator, this dairy-free sour cream recipe keeps in the refrigerator about 7-10 days. It does not freeze well.
You’ll know when it is beginning to go bad, because it will become a little watery. As always, smell it to make sure that it doesn’t have a foul odor to it.
Uses for tofu sour cream
There are so many uses for this non-dairy sour cream, and here are just a few:
- baked potatoes
- Nacho Supreme
- vegan chili
- Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff
- grill veggies
- and more…
*Originally published January 2015.
If you watched the short demo video of me making the sour cream and are wondering about the taco bean mixture we ate on our baked potatoes, you’ll find the recipe for it in my Nacho Supreme recipe.
This makes so much sense, because the countries that consume the most soy, such as Japan and China, have the lowest rates of cancer and chronic disease. This short video will explain the benefits of soy.
More great sauce recipes
For those of you new to the whole food plant-based lifestyle, we’ve created a FREE 7-Day Plant-Based Menu Planner to help you get started!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
If you try this recipe, please let us know how you like it by rating it and leaving a comment. We love to hear from you!
- 1 16 oz package firm silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (or more)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Open tofu package and drain any water. If using shelf-stable tofu, there won't be much water. For the refrigerated tofu, you'll need to drain and then press all water out.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Keeps in air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 36Total Fat: 2gSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.