There are times that I just need something sweet, chocolatey, and refreshing. Those are the days I fire up my blender and make a healthy chocolate banana smoothie.
Made with velvety almond milk and creamy banana, this dairy-free chocolate banana smoothie is perfectly sweet and refreshing.
We love this chocolate smoothie because it’s…
- Super simple
- Requires only 5 ingredients
- Perfectly sweet
With only 5 ingredients, my craving is filled easily within 3-minutes flat.
The simple ingredients are things that many of us likely keep on-hand.
- cocoa powder
- almond milk (or any plant milk)
How to make banana chocolate smoothies
This quick vegan dessert recipe is so simple, it can hardly be called a recipe at all.
Simply peel a banana and add it along with plant milk, vanilla, cocoa powder, and ice to a blender.
I love to use almond milk or even vanilla flavored almond milk in my smoothie but any plant milk will work just fine. Other great options are soy and rice milk.
Just a quick spin in a blender is all this recipe needs. You don’t need a high power blender, because any of them will do. More powerful blenders like my Vitamix will make these smoother but are not necessary.
One thing that I like to do is keep frozen bananas in my freezer. When my local grocery store sets those bags of ugly ripe bananas out for $1.99, I grab them up. At home, I peel them and place in a gallon-sized freezer bag and put in the freezer.
We all know that the ugliest bananas are the sweetest, and that’s terrific in a smoothie like this because no other sweetener is needed. The banana takes care of it!
Another good thing about frozen bananas is that less ice is required to make a smoothie.
Though I don’t drink smoothies as meal replacers, they are terrific as a refreshing snack. Also, check out my Vegetable Fruit Smoothies.
*Originally published April 2015.
Nutrition per serving
There’s no reason to feel guilty about having one of these delicious chocolatey smoothies once in awhile because they are low in fat and high in flavor.
Only 0.4 grams of fat and 1.3 grams of protein!
Other great chocolate recipes
- 1 medium banana, I like mine frozen
- 3/4 cup almond milk, plain or vanilla (or other plant milk)
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- ice cubes, enough to get the consistency you like
- Simply peel a banana and add it along with plant milk, vanilla, cocoa powder, and ice to a blender. See my tips for freezing bananas in the article above.
- I love to use almond milk or even vanilla flavored almond milk to my smoothie but any plant milk will work just fine. Other great options are soy and rice milk.
- Just a quick spin in a blender is all this recipe needs.
- You don’t need a high power blender because any blender will do. More powerful blenders like my Vitamix will make these smoother but are not necessary.
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: .4gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 5gSugar: 21gProtein: 1.3g
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.