This vegetable soup embodies all that I imagine a good soup should be. It’s flavorful, hearty, and comforting. It doesn’t hurt a bit that this is a one-pot vegan minestrone soup either.
Minestrone is a flavorful Italian soup that is so versatile because there’s no set recipe.
Varieties are endless and include nearly any vegetable you want to add. It’s basically your entire garden in one meal!
We love this soup because it’s…
- Packed with veggies
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Common vegetables and ingredients in minestrone
- beans (such as kidney beans, cannellini, etc)
- pasta (elbow, spiral, any variety)
- green beans
- vegetable broth
- Italian spices (such as basil and oregano)
- …and anything else you think of
RECIPE CARD BELOW
This soup is easily made gluten-free by adding rice pasta (or other gluten-free variety) or leaving the pasta out completely. Brown rice is a good substitute for pasta in this recipe.
One thing I love about soups is that they make feeding a crowd easy and affordable. It’s so simple to double or even triple a recipe and freeze leftovers, so there will always be something in the freezer for a quick meal.
To me, soup is an all-year-around meal. I know many people prefer eating soups during the fall and winter, but that’s not the regiment at my house.
Any given day of the year, you might find a soup of some variety simmering on the stovetop.
Some of our favorite soups
Click recipe title to see the full recipe.
- Broccoli Cheddar
- African Peanut Sweet Potato Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Hearty Barley and Vegetable
Homemade Italian minestrone soup is one of our favorites. One reason is that it’s a great meal to make when you need to clean out some of those vegetables in the refrigerator before they go bad.
Or, if you have frozen vegetables in the freezer, like most of us do, it’s so easy to pull this one-pot meal together without much effort.
One-pot healthy meals
You caught that, right? One-pot. That means clean-up is a breeze too. In my book, that is always a good thing. It can even be made in a crockpot.
Some other one-pot meals that make cleaning up the dishes much less of a hassle are in this article, 15 Easy Vegan One-Pot Meals. The list includes soups, chili, barbecue sandwiches, and even black bean burgers.
Add a little bit of crusty bread to this minestrone soup, and you’ll have a hearty meal that will keep you full for hours.
That’s because the soup is loaded with fiber, as well as other phytonutrients and antioxidants that promote health and fight disease. The fiber fills you up and keeps you feeling satisfied until the next meal.
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1.5 cups cooked cannellini beans, or other bean of choice
- 1 cup fresh green beans cut into 1"
- 1.5 cups fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup whole grain pasta, elbow, spiral, etc
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dry poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 3 Tbsp veggie broth in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, onion, celery, and carrots and allow to cook for about 3 minutes.
- Toss in the green beans, cannellini (or another type of beans) and all other ingredients EXCEPT PASTA and spices, along with the veggie broth.
- Bring soup to a strong simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and allow to cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and cook for another 10-12 minutes.
- CROCK POT INSTRUCTIONS: If making in a slow cooker or crockpot, simply add all ingredients and set the temperature to low. Allow to cook for 3-4 hours.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Ladle into bowls and serve.
MAKER Homeware 12 QT Cast Aluminum Stockpot with Nonstick Ceramic Coating, Red
365 Everyday Value Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189 Total Fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 37g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 7g Protein: 10g