What I love about spuds is that they are so versatile. Endless topping possibilities, and vegan potato taco style is most definitely a favorite for us.
Some of the ingredients used in this taco potato topping are beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning spices, and bulgur.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
What is bulgur?
Bulgur used in this recipe is a whole wheat grain that is cooked exactly like rice in about 15 minutes. (Follow package directions).
I like to make a big batch of it and store in freezer to use in recipes like tacos, stews, chili beans, etc. because bulgur adds a ground beef texture and soaks up flavors of dish you’re preparing.
Nutrition in Bulgur
Eating bulgur wheat may help to alleviate chronic inflammation, thereby protecting against some diseases.
In a clinical study published in the February 2008 issue of the “American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,” researchers found that people who consumed higher amounts of betaine, a metabolite found in whole wheat, had lower concentrations of homocysteine, a marker of chronic inflammation that has been linked to heart disease, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease and type 2 diabetes.–LiveStrong
Best way to cut open a baked potato
An old friend of mine used to work at a restaurant when she was a teenager, and she showed me years ago the best way to soften a potato when you are about to load it up. Simply cut baked potatoes open and press on sides like this.
Press a little firmer and it breaks up the potato flesh inside to create a softer bed for a toppings landing.
Incredibly some of the ingredients used to make this amazing cheese sauce are…
- cashews (and or white beans)
- nutritional yeast flakes
- lemon juice
Another great way to use No-Cheese Sauce is to combine it with salsa to make Vegan Nacho Cheese. It is an incredible party snack and also is great served on fries, baked potatoes, and pizza. For healthy burritos and quesadillas, it can’t be beat!
Other great vegan cheese sauces
- Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Vegan Cheddar No-Cheese Sauce
- Cashew Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Sweet Potato Cheese Sauce
- Vegan Ricotta Cheese
- Chili Cheese Fries
Some people are not too sure about tofu like that used in the Tofu Sour Cream, because it contains phytoestrogens. Turns out, phytoestrogens are very health promoting and are not at all like our body’s natural estrogen that can cause harm and lead to disease.
This makes so much sense, because the countries that consume the most soy, such as Japan and China, have the lowest rates of cancer and chronic disease. The short video below will explain the benefits of soy.
What is tofu?
Tofu or soybean curd is a food of Asian origin. Production of tofu involves soaking soybeans in water and creating soy milk, then curdling the milk using a substance such as calcium sulfate or lemon juice.
The curds are separated from the whey and usually packaged in block form. Most tofu brands offer a range of soft and firm varieties, which differ mainly in the amount of water retained.”–LiveStrong
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 1/2 cup cooked bulgur
- 4.5 cups cooked beans, any variety, or 3- 15 oz cans
- 1/4 cup dry taco seasoning, (purchased or homemade)
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- pinch cayenne pepper, (optional)
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup onions, sliced
- 1 cup broth from veggies
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, unsoaked, (or 1/2 cup white beans)
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 5-6 large baked potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced onion, for topping (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, for topping (optional)
- Bulgur is a whole wheat grain, much like rice and quinoa. It cooks on the stove top, in microwave, or in a rice cooker. I usually cook mine in my rice steamer. Just add water and salt and allow to cook according to package directions, around 15 minutes (stove top). Because bulgur has a ground-beef texture and soaks up flavors, it can be added to many recipes. I cook 2 cups (3-4 cups cooked) at a time, place in storage bag, and keep in the freezer to be easily added to chili, No-Meat Loaf, lasagna, soups, and stews.
- QUICK NOTE: If you're planning to make Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce (from recipe below), now is a great time to start the potatoes, onion, and carrot cooking!
- While bulgur is cooking, drain and rinse cans of beans. I do this by dumping them in a large drainer in the sink and running lots of water over them. For this recipe I used pinto, navy, and black beans. If you have time, cooking your own is always a great idea!
- Add beans to a large glass (or microwavable) bowl and add cooked bulgur, taco seasoning mix, fire roasted tomatoes with juice, and cayenne. Cook in microwave for approximately 3 minutes. Stir and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- While this is cooking, chop fresh cilantro and onions.
- Cheese Sauce made with potatoes, carrots, onions, and nutritional yeast in blender (after veggies are boiled). It's absolutely the BEST plant-based cheese I've ever tasted! Your favorite salsa and dairy-free sour cream can also be added. Links for my favorite salsa and tofu sour cream recipes are below.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- In medium pot, bring about 3 cups of water to a boil. Place potatoes, carrots, and onion in pot and allow to cook until veggies are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Cooking time will vary based on how small the veggies are diced.
- When veggies are tender, drain and place them in blender. NOTE: reserve 1 cup of the broth, and add to blender. Add all the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Now you are ready to load your taco potato. Cut baked potatoes open and press on sides like this.
- Push the sides in a little bit to widen and soften them.
- Add spoonfuls of the bean/bulgur/taco mixture. Next, drizzle the cheese sauce over the top. Other toppings we enjoy are vegan sour cream, salsa (bought or my recipe link below), fresh cilantro, and diced green onions. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115 Total Fat: 4g Fiber: 5g Protein: 6.2g