This Vegan Nacho Supreme happens in our kitchen VERY regularly–I’m talking at least every other week! They are so delicious, it’s hard to believe that they don’t have all the artery clogging fat and cholesterol that the traditional ones have.
Vegan Nacho Topping Ideas
We like to top this vegan nacho recipe with ingredients like:
- beans & bulgur nacho mixture
- tofu sour cream
- Creamy Vegan No-Cheese Sauce
- Nacho Cheese Sauce
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to my favorite Amazon products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
One of our favorite toppings recently has become Nacho Cheese Sauce. It’s incredible as a dip for baked chips as well as on fries, baked potatoes, and pizza. For healthy burritos and quesadillas, it can’t be beat!
Vegan cheese sauce ingredients
Incredibly some of the ingredients used to make this amazing cheese sauce are…
Since I usually make the Creamy Cheese Sauce and keep it on-hand, this recipe can be ready in about 15-20 minutes flat! As beautiful and tasty as it is, most people cannot believe it’s so easy prepare.
Another of the main ingredients in the nacho mixture we use in our vegan nachos is bulgur.
What is bulgur?
Bulgur is a whole wheat grain that is cooked exactly like rice in about 15 minutes. (Follow package directions). I like to make a big batch of it and store in freezer to use in recipes like tacos, stews, chili beans, etc. because bulgur adds a ground beef texture and soaks up flavors of dish you’re preparing.
Nutrition in Bulgur
Eating bulgur wheat may help to alleviate chronic inflammation, thereby protecting against some diseases.
In a clinical study published in the February 2008 issue of the “American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,” researchers found that people who consumed higher amounts of betaine, a metabolite found in whole wheat, had lower concentrations of homocysteine, a marker of chronic inflammation that has been linked to heart disease, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease and type 2 diabetes.–LiveStrong
My husband says this Vegan Nachos Supreme is his favorite meal. I have to admit that the easy preparation makes them one of my favorites too!
You have got to give these nachos a try. They are one of my top viewed and shared recipes of all time.
Because they don’t have all of the saturated fat and cholesterol, your arteries and taste buds will be thanking you!
Baking homemade tortilla chips
Need a healthy chip? Homemade corn tortillas are SO easy to make. Simply use regular corn tortillas. Slice each one into 8 slices using a pizza slicer. Arrange on a baking sheet and spritz with a water bottle. Sprinkle with sea salt and garlic powder.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 5-7 minutes until crispy and golden brown. These are the healthiest tortilla chips and are delish!
Other Great Recipes That Go With Nachos
Plant-Based Vegan Starter Kits $27
- 1/2 cup cooked bulgur
- 3 15 oz cans beans, any variety, (pinto, navy, red kidney, black, etc)
- 1/4 cup dry taco seasoning, (purchased or homemade)
- 1 can fire roased tomatoes
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup broth from veggies
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, unsoaked, (or 1/2 cup white beans)
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch paprika
- pinch cayenne, (optional)
- Bulgur is a whole wheat grain, much like rice and quinoa. It cooks on the stove top or in microwave. I usually cook mine on stove or in my rice steamer. Just add water and salt and allow to cook according to package directions, around 15 minutes. Because bulgur has a ground-beef texture and soaks up flavors, it can be added to many recipes. I cook 2 cups (3-4 cups cooked) at a time, place in storage bag, and keep in the freezer to be easily added to chili, No-Meat Loaf, lasagna, soups, and stews.
- QUICK NOTE: If you're planning to make Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce (from recipe below), now is a great time to start the potatoes, onion, and carrot cooking!
- While bulgur is cooking, drain and rinse cans of beans. I do this by dumping them in a large drainer in the sink and running lots of water over them. For this recipe I used pinto, navy, and black beans.
- Add beans to a large glass (or microwavable) bowl and add cooked bulgur, taco seasoning mix, fire roasted tomatoes with juice, and cayenne. Cook in microwave for approximately 3 minutes. Stir and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- While this is cooking, chop any veggies to be added. I like fresh spinach, tomatoes, cilantro, and onions.
- You can add your own dairy-free cheese to these nachos, but I like this simple Vegan Cheese Sauce made with potatoes, carrots, onions, and nutritional yeast in blender (after veggies are boiled). It's absolutely the BEST plant-based cheese I've ever tasted! Your favorite salsa and dairy-free sour cream can also be added. Links for my favorite salsa and tofu sour cream recipes are below.
- Layer bean/bulgur/taco mixture, chips, fresh veggies, vegan cheese sauce, salsa, and tofu sour cream.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- In medium pot, bring about 3 cups of water to a boil. Place potatoes, carrots, and onion in pot and allow to cook until veggies are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Cooking time will vary based on how small the veggies are diced.
- When veggies are tender, drain and place them in blender. NOTE: reserve 1 cup of the broth, and add to blender. Add all the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips
- Making homemade tortilla chips is very easy.
- Use regular corn tortillas. Slice each one into 8 slices using a pizza slicer.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and spritz with a water bottle. Sprinkle with sea salt and garlic powder.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 5-7 minutes until crispy and golden brown. Very easy and delish!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting my content.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214 Total Fat: 1.7g Carbohydrates: 38.4g Fiber: 11.6g Protein: 13.2g