Making homemade baked tortilla chips is super easy and anyone can do it. Since they are baked and not fried, they are a much healthier option than regular chips, and they’ve got all the taste!
I absolutely love snacking on salsa and other dips, and my family enjoys making nachos for dinner on any given night.
The problem is that salsa, dips, and nachos all require a transport system better known as tortilla chips. Unfortunately, store-bought chips are fried and, even if you happen to find some that are baked, chances are they still contain oil.
Thankfully, making your own homemade tortilla chips is super easy and will even save money, since you won’t need to purchase all those prepackaged bags.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon and/or other affiliate links to my favorite products. If you purchase via my links, I may make a small percentage at no cost to you. Thank you!
You’ll love these baked tortilla chips because they’re…
- Easy to make
- Great with dips, salsas, nachos
- Full of flavor
How to make healthy tortilla chips
Many regular corn tortilla wraps at the grocery store have only a few ingredients such as water, corn, lime, and salt.
If you would like to make your own tortillas, The Kitchn has a very simple recipe called How to Make Corn Tortillas from Scratch.
Simply use regular oil-free corn tortillas, and slice each one into 8 triangles using a pizza slicer.
Arrange on a baking sheet and spritz with water in a water bottle, or use my favorite which is lime juice. Sprinkle with sea salt and garlic powder or other seasonings such as onion powder, chili powder, and others.
I like to use a sheet of parchment paper to line my pan before making these because it makes cleanup afterward so much easier.
I simply wipe off the pan and put it back in the cabinet. I also use parchment paper when baking other recipes like cookies and casseroles.
Bake at 400°F for about 5-7 minutes until crispy and golden brown. These are the healthiest tortilla chips and are delish!
Serve with salsa, dip, nachos, and anything else you can think of. We love them with my Vegan Nacho Supreme that is a family favorite for dinner.
Tips for making homemade tortilla chips
- When buying corn wraps, make sure the brand you purchase has only a few ingredients like water, corn, lime, and salt.
- If you would like to make your own tortillas, The Kitchn has a very simple recipe called How to Make Corn Tortillas from Scratch.
- Lots of different spices can be used to season these chips after spritzing with water or lime juice. I love chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and even sometimes a Mexican seasoning called Tajin.
- Make sure to check on the chips every few minutes while they are baking, because they can go from lightly brown to burned in seconds.
RECIPE CARD BELOW
Your questions answered
Q: What is a healthy option to regular tortilla chips?
A: Homemade baked tortilla chips are the easiest, least expensive, and healthiest option to regular chips. There is absolutely no oil and very little fat.
Q: Are tortilla chips healthier than potato chips?
A: Not necessarily. You can also make Homemade Baked Potato Chips that have only one ingredient–potatoes. They are super healthy as well. But regular fried potato chips are not a good option.
Q: Are tortilla chips and salsa a healthy snack?
A: Absolutely! Salsa is usually made with wholesome ingredients like tomatoes, lime, peppers, cilantro, and salt. Pair them with these baked tortilla chips, and you’ve got a snack loaded with fiber, phytonutrients, and antioxidants!
Q: How long will homemade tortilla chips last?
A: These chips can be sealed tightly in an airtight container and last up to 1 week stored at room temperature. At my house, they never last that long because we gobble them up.
Recipes that could use some tortilla chips
- Nacho Cheese Dip
- Blender Salsa
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Colorful Chili Bean Dip
- Nacho Supreme
If you make this recipe, please consider RATING it and leaving a COMMENT below. I love hearing from you. And remember, SHARING IS CARING!
- 4 oil-free corn tortillas
- water or lime juice in water bottle
- Seasoning of choice suce as salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, or Tajin
1. Simply use regular oil-free corn tortillas, and slice each one into 8 slices using a pizza slicer.
2. Arrange on a baking sheet and spritz with a water bottle or lime juice. Sprinkle with sea salt and garlic powder.
3. I do like to use a sheet of parchment paper to line my pan because it makes cleanup afterward so much easier. Simply wipe off the pan and store. I also use them when baking other recipes like cookies and casseroles.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for about 5-7 minutes until crispy and golden brown. These are the healthiest tortilla chips and are delish!
Detailed instructions, in-process photos, and my personal helpful tips can be found in the article above.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from your purchases at no cost to you. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g